Ethentic Ethentic Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data
  • Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data Ethentic Ethentic

    BUILDING WORKS COMPROMISED GAS SAFETY

    Company and director fined after work created risk to residents

    A building company and its director have been fined after construction work around a domestic gas boiler resulted in dangerous conditions at premises in Birmingham between 26 July and 28 August 2017.

    Birmingham Magistrates heard how the company was contracted to undertake construction work at Brooklyn Avenue, Aston, Birmingham which involved an extension to the existing kitchen.

    HSE investigators found that prior to the work commencing, a pre-existing gas boiler had been located in the kitchen with its flue exiting through the rear wall of the building.

    During the work the original flue outlet was removed, and an external wall was built around it. This had the effect of completely enclosing the flue inside the wall with no direct external exit point for the boiler to safely vent outside.

    Family at risk from carbon monoxide

    As a result the family of six living in the house were exposed to the risk of inhaling the products of the boiler burning, including Carbon Monoxide (CO), a poisonous gas that has no smell or taste.

    • Manjit Singh Dhaliwal (Director) – of Manor Road, Halesowen pleaded guilty to breaching Section 37 of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. He was fined £2,000 and ordered to pay costs of £431.50.
    • MD Building Contractors Ltd – of Oak Road, Oldbury pleaded guilty to breaching Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulation 8(3). The company was fined of £16,000 and ordered to pay costs of £513.10.

    Speaking after the hearing HSE principal inspector Tony Mitchell said:

    “Every year, around seven people die from CO poisoning caused by gas appliances and flues that have not been properly installed, maintained or that are poorly ventilated.

    Manjit Singh Dhaliwal was negligent in his duties as sole director to ensure that during refurbishment of the property that existing gas fittings were not adversely affected.

    All gas work must be done by registered Gas Safe engineers to ensure the highest standards are met to prevent injury and loss of life.”

     

    Latest Construction Health and Safety News

    FIRMS FAILED TO MONITOR SAFE SYSTEM OF WORK

    Principal Contractor and specialist fined over fall through roof mesh

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 12th September 2019

    ASSISTANCE FROM THIRD PARTY PROVES COSTLY

    Contractor fined after non-employee loses fingers crushed by dozer

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 12th September 2019

    CUSTODIAL SENTENCES AFTER CAPTURE ON CAMERA

    Roofing business partner failed to properly plan and supervise roofwork

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 12th September 2019

    FIRM FINED OVER FALL FROM LORRY BED

    Serious injury after failure to provide suitable and clear instructions

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 10th September 2019

    COUNCIL FINED £100k OVER VIBRATION FAILINGS

    Excessive use of power tools uncontrolled and without health surveillance

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 10th September 2019

    HSE ENFORCEMENT DATABASE LATEST UPDATE

    hselogo1View current online register of HSE prosecutions and enforcement notices

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 28th August 2019

    IMPROVING CDM DESIGNER HAZARD AWARENESS

    Research explores power of “multi-media digital tool” for design hazards

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 27th August 2019

    DEMOLITION FEDERATION ON RECENT INCIDENTS

    NFDC ‘statement of awareness’ follows unplanned collapses

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 27th August 2019

    RAISING COMPETENCE AND MAKING BUILDINGS SAFER

    Life-safety-critical disciplines urged to act on Interim Report

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 27th August 2019

    BUILDING WORKS COMPROMISED GAS SAFETY

    Company and director fined after work created risk to residents

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 27th August 2019

    NON-INJURY PROSECUTION OVER WORK ON THE EDGE

    HSE routine inspection results in £25,000 fine for errant contractor

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 27th August 2019

    FALL PRECAUTIONS FELL BETWEEN TWO FIRMS

    Contractors fined after workers at risk of falling from roof

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 9th August 2019

    SOLAR PANEL FIRM AWARE OF FRAGILE ROOF RISK

    Workman suffered long-term injuries in 4m fall through rooflight

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 9th August 2019

    HSE PROSECUTE FIRM OVER RISK NOT HARM

    Multiple safety failings land construction company in court

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 9th August 2019

    CLIENT AND CONTRACTOR FACED COURT TOGETHER

    Firms breached joint duty to plan and carry our work at height safely

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 6th August 2019

    £1M FINE OVER DEATH CAUSED BY EXCAVATOR

    Vehicle driver found guilty at trial alongside CDM Principal Contractor

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 6th August 2019

    CHILD DIED WHILST PLAYING ON POWERED GATE

    Lack of end stop caused gate to fall on 6 year old boy

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 6th August 2019

    HSE SPEAK AT ACCESS INDUSTRY CONFERENCE 2019

    AIF National Working at Height Conference November 2019

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 6th August 2019

    UK CLIENT FINED OVER UNSAFE OVERSEAS FIRM

    Italian contractor found guilty despite failure to attend court

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 6th August 2019

    COMPLETE FAILURE TO RECOGNISE HAVS RISK

    Specialist drilling company and director sentenced over HAVS danger

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 6th August 2019

    PC AND TWO OTHERS FAILED TO ASSESS WIND EFFECT

    Fall of director from roof caused by ‘Storm Doris’ gust

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 30th July 2019

    MAJOR FIRM FINED £400k OVER LIFTING OPERATION

    Fitter loses four fingers as load slides and falls to the ground

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 28th July 2019

    NEW HOMES LEFT IN DANGEROUS CONDITION

    Fined for unsafe gas work causing fires at housing development

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 28th July 2019

    FIRM FINED £1M OVER EXPLOSION DURING CLEANING

    Tank cleaning operation caused burns as flammable vapours ignited

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 25th July 2019

    YOUNG BRICKLAYER FELL THROUGH OPEN STAIRWAY

    Firm fined over failure to install fall protection around opening

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 25th July 2019
    Ethentic Ethentic Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data
  • Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data Ethentic Ethentic