• Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data

    LEISURE CENTRE USER FELL ILL AFTER SHOWER USE

    Legionella risk assessment and control measures found wanting

    Tendring District Council has been fined after a member of public contracted Legionnaires’ Disease having been a regular user of its leisure centre facilities.

    Colchester Magistrates heard how the member of public frequently used the showers at Walton Lifestyles when, in November 2016, he fell seriously ill and was taken to hospital where he remained for 18 days.

    He was diagnosed with Legionnaires’ disease, sepsis, pneumonia and chronic kidney failure.

    Water samples taken from the men’s shower tested positive for the legionella bacteria. Legionella bacteria can proliferate in hot and cold water systems which are not  properly maintained or cleaned.

    HSE investigators found a failure to adequately manage the water systems at a number of leisure centres, including Walton Lifestyles, Dovercourt Lifestyles and Clacton Leisure Centre.

    Hot and cold water systems “ideal breeding ground”

    The significant failings included not having suitable and sufficient Legionella Risk Assessments for the leisure facilities and not providing adequate control measures required for Legionella control.

    Staff were not adequately trained and a lack of monitoring meant these failings went unnoticed for several months.

    • Tendring District Council – of Town Hall, Station Road, Clacton-on-Sea, Essex pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and has been fined £ 27,000  and ordered to pay costs of £ 7,500.

    Speaking after the case, HSE Inspector Tania van Rixtel said:

    “Hot and cold water systems can provide the ideal breeding ground for the potentially fatal legionella bacteria if certain control measures are not in place. Controls such as maintaining water temperatures, regular flushing of low-use outlets and adequate cleaning are all necessary in order to reduce the risk of legionella developing.

    Tendring District Council failed to ensure controls such as these were being implemented therefore causing a potential risk to human health. This could have easily been a fatality and given the number of people who use the facilities, the potential legionella risk to the public would have been significant.”

     

    Latest Construction Health and Safety News

    BULK BAG COLLAPSE CAUSED BY UNSAFE STACKING

    Bulk bag collapsed onto workman when struck by fork lift

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 9th December 2019

    INTERLOCKED GUARD NOT WORKING TO ISOLATE POWER

    Two workmen seriously injured when plant started unexpectedly

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 9th December 2019

    STREET FURNITURE RISK TO PUBLIC FINED £1.4M

    Council prosecuted following injury to child playing on hinged bollard

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 9th December 2019

    WORKMEN SUFFER SERIOUS BURNS FROM CABLE STRIKE

    Assessment and system of work failed to appreciate electrical risk

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 29th November 2019

    LADDERS WERE INAPPROPRIATE FOR WORK ON ROOF

    Workman paralysed after falling whilst installing roof ladder

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 28th November 2019

    FIRM FAILED TO MANAGE EXHAUST VENTILATION

    HSE enforcement notices on wood dust and welding fume ignored

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 27th November 2019

    RECALCITRANT DIRECTOR BARRED FROM OFFICE

    Dangerous telehandler used despite earlier fatality and enforcement

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 25th November 2019

    DIRECTOR HID UNSAFE WORKING PRACTICES FROM HSE

    Workers exposed to sprayed paints containing asthma causing isocyantes

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 25th November 2019

    JAIL TERM FOR CONTRACTOR CAUSING GAS RISK

    Roofer sentenced after work caused carbon monoxide release

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 22nd November 2019

    UNSTABLE STAIRCASE COLLAPSE DURING REFURB WORK

    Workman not informed of staircase hazard suffered serious injury

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 22nd November 2019

    UNUSED SEAT BELT WAS “COMMON PRACTICE” ON SITE

    Overturning dumper truck caused death of operators at spoil heap

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 22nd November 2019

    SELECTED NEWS POSTED RECENTLY ON TWITTER

    PP Construction Safety logo and link to home page [1]Links to other construction health and safety related news reports

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th November 2019

    HSE LOOK TO LOCAL AUTHORITIES FOR CDM SUPPORT

    Council Inspectors focus on CDM client duties – asbestos, fragility and RCS

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 14th November 2019

    VERBAL WARNING OF DANGER IS NO DEFENCE

    Hand of female worker entangled in modified metal drilling rig

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 14th November 2019

    UNDERGROUND CABLE STRIKE CAUSES 50% BURNS

    Workman seriously injured using hand-held breaker to excavate post holes

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 14th November 2019

    HSE WELDING FUME REVISED GUIDANCE PUBLISHED

    New research evidence on cancer link prompts revision on welding fume

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 14th November 2019

    VIBRATION MANAGEMENT FAILINGS FINED £600,000

    Vital health surveillance, tool replacement and management found wanting

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 14th November 2019

    HSE ENFORCEMENT DATABASE LATEST UPDATE

    hselogo1View current online register of HSE prosecutions and enforcement notices

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 31st October 2019

    DEVELOPER AND DIRECTOR PUT PUBLIC AT RISK

    Demolition undertaken without surveys and effective safety precautions

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 28th October 2019

    BY-PASSING MACHINE INTERLOCK FINED £1.275 MILLION

    Trapped key safety system failed to prevent access to conveyor danger

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 24th October 2019

    HSE LOSES PATIENCE WITH ERRANT CONTRACTOR

    Roofing firm fined £30,000 over failure to manage work at height risks

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 24th October 2019

    TRUSS ERECTION LACKED INTERNAL FALL PROTECTION

    Carpenter fell and injured whilst falling with roof truss

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 24th October 2019

    WORKMAN FELL HEAD FIRST THROUGH ROOFLIGHT

    Fragile roof dangers not assessed and properly controlled

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 24th October 2019

    STRUCTURAL SAFETY BODY LATEST NEWSLETTER

    CROSS publishes reports and expert comment on a range of issues

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th October 2019

    HSE RISK REDUCTION THROUGH DESIGN AWARD

    Regulator seeks to promote hazard avoidance and risk minimisation

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th October 2019
  • Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data