• Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data

    INQUEST: WORKMAN DIED TRAPPED BY INFERNO

    Machine worker died after failing to escape from burning building

    It has been reported by the Manchester Evening News that factory worker Mohamed Shakil Aboo, 47, had to be identified using DNA from his toothbrush after the blaze at Sartex Quilt and Textiles Ltd in Rochdale on May 2011.

    An inquest at Oldham Magistrates Court heard that the blaze started after a baling machine became blocked. There were three other members of staff in the premises at the time of the fire, who initially attempted to use fire extinguishers and a water hose to tackle the blaze.

    One witness told the MEN:

    “I saw that black smoke was coming out of the bottom of the machine. There was a long piece of cloth hanging over the machine to prevent the dust from entering. The sheet caught fire and dropped on the machine. It spread like a flash and there were red and yellow flames touching the factory ceiling.”

    Zulficar Ali ran towards reception to ring the fire service. The remaining men ran towards the store room, which housed the diesel generator, to try and escape. Mr Khan added:

    “The store room was full of bales that covered the floor and there was no clear walkway to the exit. I followed Shaukat and Mohamed, I made the same way as them. Shaukat was first, I saw him climbing over bales to reach the exit. Mohamed was behind him and that was the last place I saw him. I couldn’t see the floor.”

    Mr Khan turned and ran for the roller door leading into a yard next to the canal. He climbed onto an empty cable drum in attempt to scale the wall, which surrounded the yard and was pulled on to the canal bridge by two youths who were passing.

    Mr Aboo did not escape from the building and the blaze was so intense that firefighters were unable to enter the premises until the following day to recover his body. A pathologist had to use DNA from his toothbrush matched with a piece of his liver to identify the remains.

    Latest Construction Health and Safety News

    BULK BAG COLLAPSE CAUSED BY UNSAFE STACKING

    Bulk bag collapsed onto workman when struck by fork lift

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 9th December 2019

    INTERLOCKED GUARD NOT WORKING TO ISOLATE POWER

    Two workmen seriously injured when plant started unexpectedly

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 9th December 2019

    STREET FURNITURE RISK TO PUBLIC FINED £1.4M

    Council prosecuted following injury to child playing on hinged bollard

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 9th December 2019

    WORKMEN SUFFER SERIOUS BURNS FROM CABLE STRIKE

    Assessment and system of work failed to appreciate electrical risk

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 29th November 2019

    LADDERS WERE INAPPROPRIATE FOR WORK ON ROOF

    Workman paralysed after falling whilst installing roof ladder

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 28th November 2019

    FIRM FAILED TO MANAGE EXHAUST VENTILATION

    HSE enforcement notices on wood dust and welding fume ignored

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 27th November 2019

    RECALCITRANT DIRECTOR BARRED FROM OFFICE

    Dangerous telehandler used despite earlier fatality and enforcement

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 25th November 2019

    DIRECTOR HID UNSAFE WORKING PRACTICES FROM HSE

    Workers exposed to sprayed paints containing asthma causing isocyantes

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 25th November 2019

    JAIL TERM FOR CONTRACTOR CAUSING GAS RISK

    Roofer sentenced after work caused carbon monoxide release

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 22nd November 2019

    UNSTABLE STAIRCASE COLLAPSE DURING REFURB WORK

    Workman not informed of staircase hazard suffered serious injury

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 22nd November 2019

    UNUSED SEAT BELT WAS “COMMON PRACTICE” ON SITE

    Overturning dumper truck caused death of operators at spoil heap

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 22nd November 2019

    SELECTED NEWS POSTED RECENTLY ON TWITTER

    PP Construction Safety logo and link to home page [1]Links to other construction health and safety related news reports

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th November 2019

    HSE LOOK TO LOCAL AUTHORITIES FOR CDM SUPPORT

    Council Inspectors focus on CDM client duties – asbestos, fragility and RCS

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 14th November 2019

    VERBAL WARNING OF DANGER IS NO DEFENCE

    Hand of female worker entangled in modified metal drilling rig

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 14th November 2019

    UNDERGROUND CABLE STRIKE CAUSES 50% BURNS

    Workman seriously injured using hand-held breaker to excavate post holes

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 14th November 2019

    HSE WELDING FUME REVISED GUIDANCE PUBLISHED

    New research evidence on cancer link prompts revision on welding fume

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 14th November 2019

    VIBRATION MANAGEMENT FAILINGS FINED £600,000

    Vital health surveillance, tool replacement and management found wanting

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 14th November 2019

    HSE ENFORCEMENT DATABASE LATEST UPDATE

    hselogo1View current online register of HSE prosecutions and enforcement notices

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 31st October 2019

    DEVELOPER AND DIRECTOR PUT PUBLIC AT RISK

    Demolition undertaken without surveys and effective safety precautions

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 28th October 2019

    BY-PASSING MACHINE INTERLOCK FINED £1.275 MILLION

    Trapped key safety system failed to prevent access to conveyor danger

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 24th October 2019

    HSE LOSES PATIENCE WITH ERRANT CONTRACTOR

    Roofing firm fined £30,000 over failure to manage work at height risks

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 24th October 2019

    TRUSS ERECTION LACKED INTERNAL FALL PROTECTION

    Carpenter fell and injured whilst falling with roof truss

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 24th October 2019

    WORKMAN FELL HEAD FIRST THROUGH ROOFLIGHT

    Fragile roof dangers not assessed and properly controlled

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 24th October 2019

    STRUCTURAL SAFETY BODY LATEST NEWSLETTER

    CROSS publishes reports and expert comment on a range of issues

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th October 2019

    HSE RISK REDUCTION THROUGH DESIGN AWARD

    Regulator seeks to promote hazard avoidance and risk minimisation

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th October 2019
  • Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data