• Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data

    FATAL ACCIDENT INQUIRY: CHILD ELECTROCUTED

    Death could have been prevented if workman had ‘cleaned up properly’

    A Scottish fatal accident inquiry has ruled the death of a young child could have been prevented if a handyman had cleaned up properly.

    Twenty-one-month-old Liam Boyle was electrocuted in his Glasgow home in February 2009. The Glasgow Sheriff Court heard that handyman Daniel Rough was fitting a new oven. A plug with uncovered wires was left in the living room, and Liam picked it up.

    The youngster carried the plug to his toy room, plugged it in and is thought to have touched the conductors causing the fatal accident. His mother Claire Hughes found him lying lifeless and tried in vain to resuscitate him.

    Sheriff Miller wrote:

    “Liam would not have died when, where and how he did if he had been denied access to the new cable and plug once it had been disconnected from the new oven.

    Undoubtedly that could have been achieved by keeping the new cable and plug in a place where Liam could not get at them while the work was being done and also by removing them as part of the necessary task of clearing up whatever tools and equipment had been brought to the house to allow completion of the instructed work after that work had been completed.

    These, to my mind, are precautions that are obvious, no more than common sense…The primary responsibility for satisfying the reasonable precautions of keeping the new cable and plug in a place where Liam could not get at them while the work was being done, and for removing them as part of the necessary task of clearing up whatever tools and equipment he had brought to the house must rest with the person undertaking the job

    Mr Rough knew that Liam, a small boy, was in the living room while he was carrying out the task of replacing the old oven in the next door room, the kitchen.

    He ought to have taken account of Liam’s presence and young age to the extent of recognising that his work equipment of whatever description, and that includes the new cable and plug, would be a source of interest if not fascination to Liam, and that by reason of his young age this brought with it a significantly enhanced risk that the natural curiosity of a small boy had the potential to lead him into doing something that might injure himself even if his mother were also present in the same room.”

    Latest Construction Health and Safety News

    BULK BAG COLLAPSE CAUSED BY UNSAFE STACKING

    Bulk bag collapsed onto workman when struck by fork lift

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 9th December 2019

    INTERLOCKED GUARD NOT WORKING TO ISOLATE POWER

    Two workmen seriously injured when plant started unexpectedly

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 9th December 2019

    STREET FURNITURE RISK TO PUBLIC FINED £1.4M

    Council prosecuted following injury to child playing on hinged bollard

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 9th December 2019

    WORKMEN SUFFER SERIOUS BURNS FROM CABLE STRIKE

    Assessment and system of work failed to appreciate electrical risk

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 29th November 2019

    LADDERS WERE INAPPROPRIATE FOR WORK ON ROOF

    Workman paralysed after falling whilst installing roof ladder

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 28th November 2019

    FIRM FAILED TO MANAGE EXHAUST VENTILATION

    HSE enforcement notices on wood dust and welding fume ignored

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 27th November 2019

    RECALCITRANT DIRECTOR BARRED FROM OFFICE

    Dangerous telehandler used despite earlier fatality and enforcement

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 25th November 2019

    DIRECTOR HID UNSAFE WORKING PRACTICES FROM HSE

    Workers exposed to sprayed paints containing asthma causing isocyantes

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 25th November 2019

    JAIL TERM FOR CONTRACTOR CAUSING GAS RISK

    Roofer sentenced after work caused carbon monoxide release

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 22nd November 2019

    UNSTABLE STAIRCASE COLLAPSE DURING REFURB WORK

    Workman not informed of staircase hazard suffered serious injury

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 22nd November 2019

    UNUSED SEAT BELT WAS “COMMON PRACTICE” ON SITE

    Overturning dumper truck caused death of operators at spoil heap

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 22nd November 2019

    SELECTED NEWS POSTED RECENTLY ON TWITTER

    PP Construction Safety logo and link to home page [1]Links to other construction health and safety related news reports

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th November 2019

    HSE LOOK TO LOCAL AUTHORITIES FOR CDM SUPPORT

    Council Inspectors focus on CDM client duties – asbestos, fragility and RCS

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 14th November 2019

    VERBAL WARNING OF DANGER IS NO DEFENCE

    Hand of female worker entangled in modified metal drilling rig

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 14th November 2019

    UNDERGROUND CABLE STRIKE CAUSES 50% BURNS

    Workman seriously injured using hand-held breaker to excavate post holes

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 14th November 2019

    HSE WELDING FUME REVISED GUIDANCE PUBLISHED

    New research evidence on cancer link prompts revision on welding fume

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 14th November 2019

    VIBRATION MANAGEMENT FAILINGS FINED £600,000

    Vital health surveillance, tool replacement and management found wanting

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 14th November 2019

    HSE ENFORCEMENT DATABASE LATEST UPDATE

    hselogo1View current online register of HSE prosecutions and enforcement notices

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 31st October 2019

    DEVELOPER AND DIRECTOR PUT PUBLIC AT RISK

    Demolition undertaken without surveys and effective safety precautions

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 28th October 2019

    BY-PASSING MACHINE INTERLOCK FINED £1.275 MILLION

    Trapped key safety system failed to prevent access to conveyor danger

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 24th October 2019

    HSE LOSES PATIENCE WITH ERRANT CONTRACTOR

    Roofing firm fined £30,000 over failure to manage work at height risks

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 24th October 2019

    TRUSS ERECTION LACKED INTERNAL FALL PROTECTION

    Carpenter fell and injured whilst falling with roof truss

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 24th October 2019

    WORKMAN FELL HEAD FIRST THROUGH ROOFLIGHT

    Fragile roof dangers not assessed and properly controlled

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 24th October 2019

    STRUCTURAL SAFETY BODY LATEST NEWSLETTER

    CROSS publishes reports and expert comment on a range of issues

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th October 2019

    HSE RISK REDUCTION THROUGH DESIGN AWARD

    Regulator seeks to promote hazard avoidance and risk minimisation

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th October 2019
  • Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data