Ethentic Ethentic Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data
  • Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data Ethentic Ethentic

    ASBESTOS WIDOW BACKS NEW LEARNING PACKAGE

    New HSE teaching materials for young apprentices on asbestos dangers

    A widow, whose husband died after being exposed to asbestos fibres, is backing a new training package which aims to save the lives of young construction apprentices. Around 4,000 people die from asbestos-related diseases every year in GB.

    HSE research has revealed that, although tradespeople know asbestos is harmful to health, they believe it is an historical problem not still relevant to them. They therefore do not take action to protect themselves.

    Jean Doyle hopes the HSE scheme will help get the message across to thousands of trainee joiners, electricians, plumbers and other tradespeople about the dangers they face from asbestos.

    Work as a joiner led to asbestos exposure

    Jean’s husband, Dave, died from mesothelioma in 2006 after working as a joiner all his life. He was exposed to asbestos while using the material to make properties fire resistant. She said:

    “Dave’s death has had a devastating impact on our family. Young people need to realise the real cost asbestos can have on their lives.

    Both our sons and grandson have followed Dave into the building trade so I’ve made sure they’re aware of the dangers. Trainee apprentices need to know they’re not immortal.

    I hope this new scheme will give them the confidence to say ‘no’ when they’re out at work, if they’re asked to work with asbestos. It may just look like dust but it’s deadly.”

    The new ‘Introduction to Asbestos’ learning package is aimed at young tradespeople who may come into contact with the material, which was often used for fireproofing or insulation, while carrying out their work.

    New learning package

    The teaching materials include a video interview with Christopher Morgan, who died from mesothelioma in March 2010. The 58-year-old pipe fitter was exposed to asbestos fibres while repairing heating systems decades earlier. In the video, he urges young apprentices to take the threat of asbestos seriously.

    David Gartside, HSE Board Member, said:

    “We’re encouraging college lecturers to use our new learning package as part of their apprenticeship courses. I hope the video message from Christopher Morgan will make them realise asbestos is a genuine danger.

    Many young tradespeople believe that, because asbestos is no longer used in buildings, it’s no longer a threat to them. But that simply isn’t true. The material was widely used for fireproofing and insulation up until ten years ago, so there’s every chance that they could come into contact with it.”

    Asbestos can be found in many buildings built or refurbished before 2000. It becomes dangerous when it is broken up and fibres are released into the air.

    Latest Construction Health and Safety News

    HSE ENFORCEMENT DATABASE LATEST UPDATE

    hselogo1View current online register of HSE prosecutions and enforcement notices

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 21st August 2019

    FALL PRECAUTIONS FELL BETWEEN TWO FIRMS

    Contractors fined after workers at risk of falling from roof

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 9th August 2019

    SOLAR PANEL FIRM AWARE OF FRAGILE ROOF RISK

    Workman suffered long-term injuries in 4m fall through rooflight

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 9th August 2019

    HSE PROSECUTE FIRM OVER RISK NOT HARM

    Multiple safety failings land construction company in court

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 9th August 2019

    CLIENT AND CONTRACTOR FACED COURT TOGETHER

    Firms breached joint duty to plan and carry our work at height safely

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 6th August 2019

    £1M FINE OVER DEATH CAUSED BY EXCAVATOR

    Vehicle driver found guilty at trial alongside CDM Principal Contractor

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 6th August 2019

    CHILD DIED WHILST PLAYING ON POWERED GATE

    Lack of end stop caused gate to fall on 6 year old boy

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 6th August 2019

    HSE SPEAK AT ACCESS INDUSTRY CONFERENCE 2019

    AIF National Working at Height Conference November 2019

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 6th August 2019

    UK CLIENT FINED OVER UNSAFE OVERSEAS FIRM

    Italian contractor found guilty despite failure to attend court

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 6th August 2019

    COMPLETE FAILURE TO RECOGNISE HAVS RISK

    Specialist drilling company and director sentenced over HAVS danger

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 6th August 2019

    PC AND TWO OTHERS FAILED TO ASSESS WIND EFFECT

    Fall of director from roof caused by ‘Storm Doris’ gust

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 30th July 2019

    MAJOR FIRM FINED £400k OVER LIFTING OPERATION

    Fitter loses four fingers as load slides and falls to the ground

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 28th July 2019

    NEW HOMES LEFT IN DANGEROUS CONDITION

    Fined for unsafe gas work causing fires at housing development

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 28th July 2019

    FIRM FINED £1M OVER EXPLOSION DURING CLEANING

    Tank cleaning operation caused burns as flammable vapours ignited

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 25th July 2019

    YOUNG BRICKLAYER FELL THROUGH OPEN STAIRWAY

    Firm fined over failure to install fall protection around opening

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 25th July 2019

    STRUCTURAL SAFETY BODY LATEST NEWSLETTER

    CROSS publishes reports and expert comment on a range of issues

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 23rd July 2019

    FLAT ROOF FAILED UNDER WEIGHT OF WORKMAN

    Confusion over fragility proves costly for worker and business

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 23rd July 2019

    PROPERTY FIRM FINED OVER FATAL FALL FROM TREE

    Untrained workers using chain saw engaged to fell large sycamore

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 23rd July 2019

    LANDLORD PUT PUBLIC AT RISK FROM ASBESTOS

    Powered jet washing of asbestos cement sheets caused spread

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 23rd July 2019

    WORKMAN FELL FROM SUSPENDED ACCESS EQUIPMENT

    Health Board and maintenance firm director prosecuted

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 23rd July 2019

    CONSIDERING TEMP WORKS IN PERMANENT DESIGN

    Useful overview for civil and structural engineers on contemporary practice

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 23rd July 2019

    FIRM FAILED TO COMPLY WITH SITE WELFARE NOTICE

    Basic welfare requirements found wanting for second time

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 23rd July 2019

    PRISON TERM OVER POORLY GUARDED CIRCULAR SAW

    Workman lost three fingers using machine without guard and riving knife

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 23rd July 2019

    COMPANY IGNORED HSE ON SILICA DUST ACTION

    Worktop manufacturer failed to control dust and manage ventilation

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 23rd July 2019

    ASBESTOS REMOVED WITHOUT SURVEY OR CONTROLS

    Client fined over failure to commission refurb and demo survey

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 15th July 2019
    Ethentic Ethentic Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data
  • Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data Ethentic Ethentic