• Total Access Higher Safety
    Turner Access Chipmunk Data

    HOUSING ASSOCIATION PUT RESIDENTS AT RISK

    Renovation work not assessed for impact on CO poisoning risk

    Housing association, Dumfries & Galloway Housing Partnership Limited, has been prosecuted after allowing renovations to take place which put residents at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

    Dumfries Sheriff Court heard that Scotland’s second largest registered social landlord allowed chimneys to be removed from properties on two separate occasions. It was later discovered during the annual gas checks that the chimneys acted as the necessary gas flue for adjacent properties.

    Procedures and assessment absent

    HSE investigation revealed that at the time the chimney removals took place there was no procedure in place in respect of this type of work and risk assessments were not carried out in relation to the chimney removals.

    Proper assessment would have identified the risk to carbon monoxide poisoning for the residents.

    Dumfries & Galloway Housing Partnership Limited pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act (1974) and was fined £8,000.

    Around seven people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by gas appliances and flues that have not been properly installed, maintained or that are poorly ventilated.

     

    Turner Access Chipmunk Data
    Total Access Higher Safety