• Total Access Higher Safety
    Turner Access Chipmunk Data

    BUILDING FIRM AND DIRECTOR PROSECUTED

    Childminder and children at put a risk ill-judged work

    Building company, Plastic and Wood Specialists Ltd, and its director have been fined for breaching Gas Safety law after putting a childminder and children in her care at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

    The company built a structure, used by the childminder to shelter sleeping babies and young children, around the flue outlet for the boiler.

    A carbon monoxide alarm sounded in the home and the gas supply was later disconnected by an emergency engineer from National Grid.

    Northampton Magistrates’ Court heard how a gas boiler flue previously installed in the childminders home was made unsafe by the structure as it affected the safety of the boiler.

    Multiple fatalities possible

    HSE investigators found that the structure should not have been constructed in a way that partially enclosed the boiler flue.

    The flue should have been extended before the structure was completed. If dangerous levels of carbon monoxide had built up when these vulnerable children were in the structure there could have been multiple fatalities.

    • Plastic and Wood Specialists Ltd – pleaded guilty of Regulation 8(1) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 were fined £40,000 with £1,419.10 in costs.
    • Alan John Wager – company director, pleaded guilty to Section 37 of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 and was given a 26 week prison sentence, suspended for 12 months with £1,419.10 in costs.

    HSE Inspector Jenna McDade said:

    “Builders should be aware of the dangers arising from enclosing or partially enclosing a flue.

    As with this case, they would be at risk of breaching gas safety regulations even if they are not gas fitters. It is important to understand the risks before undertaking the work.”

    Turner Access Chipmunk Data
    Total Access Higher Safety