Ten questions unlock door to business Client CDM compliance
The CDM Regulations 2015 are taking time to ‘bed down’ as demonstrated by the responses to our recent CDM 2015 Five Minute Survey. See below. We hear and read reports of uncertainty and confusion despite the presence of extensive HSE and Industry Guidance explaining the regulations.
We have therefore decided to distill what is required of each CDM 2015 duty holder into a set of simple questions which can be used to structure self-appraisal and confirm compliance with the new legislation.
These questions are those most likely to be asked by HSE during a routine project intervention or incident investigation. The strength and veracity of your answers may affect the prospect of enforcement action by the regulator.
A major objective of CDM 2015 is to promote more positive action by the project Client. Our third set of ‘Killer Questions’ therefore deal with the role of the business construction Client.
What are YOUR answers to these questions?
The following questions are based on the legal requirements on business Clients under CDM 2015. A robust answer to each of these ‘Ten Killer Questions for Clients’ should deliver compliance with your responsibilities.
- Skills, knowledge etc. – How do you ensure that designers and contractors appointed by you have the skills, knowledge and experience and organisational capability to fulfil their roles?
- Management arrangements – How do you manage the project, notify HSE and maintain / review your arrangements?
- Pre-construction information – How do you ensure that pre-construction information is provided to every designer and contractor appointed, or being considered for appointment, to the project?
- Principal Designer (PD) – How do you ensure that a PD is appointed in writing where required and that the PD complies with the PD duties?
- Health and Safety File preparation – How do you ensure that your appointed PD prepares a Health and Safety File (HSF) for the project?
- Health and Safety File revision – How do you ensure that any project HSF is revised from time to time to incorporate any new information and kept available for inspection?
- Principal Contractor (PC) – How do you ensure that a contractor is appointed as PC and that the PC complies with the PC duties?
- Construction phase plan – How do you ensure that a construction phase plan is drawn up by the PC or contractor before construction work begins?
- Welfare facilities – How do you ensure that the required welfare facilities are provided in respect of any person carrying out construction work?
- Cooperation with others – How do you cooperate with any other person working on or in relation to the project at the same or an adjoining construction site?
CDM 2015 Information and Templates
We have published a great deal of further information and templates designed to support Clients, Designers, Principal Designers/Contractors and Contractors in meeting their duties under CDM Regulations 2015.