Ethentic Ethentic Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data
  • Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data Ethentic Ethentic

    COUNCIL FINED £66K FOR IGNORING ASBESTOS RISK

    HSE ‘Mythbusters Panel’ exposes inadequate asbestos controls

    Waltham Forest Borough Council has been fined after members of staff and visiting contractors were exposed to asbestos (ACMs) which the Council knew to be present in the Town Hall basement.

    The ACMs were identified in a survey commissioned by the council in 2002 but the Council failed to act on the findings and put effective controls in place. Employees and visiting contractors consequently worked in the basement regardless of the dangers for the next ten years.

    Westminster Magistrates heard that the issue became public in mid-2012 when a local resident put in a request to the council to see some election expenses documentation. The authority denied the request with the reason that the paperwork was contaminated with asbestos.

    The resident approached the HSE ‘Mythbuster Challenge Panel’ which referred the concern to HSE London Inspectors. Further investigation revealed that a second asbestos survey was carried out in January 2012 which identified problems of asbestos in the boiler room and other areas of the basement. The survey also highlighted that areas identified in the 2002 survey had not been remedied.

    The court heard that Waltham Forest Borough Council lacked a plan for managing asbestos and there was an inadequate system in place for inspecting asbestos at the Town Hall.

    Singular failure to act for a decade

    Waltham Forest Borough Council was fined a total of £66,000 and ordered to pay £16,862 in costs after pleading guilty to two breaches of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and a breach of the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2006.

    After the hearing, HSE inspector Chris Tilley said:

    “Waltham Forest was aware of the asbestos in the basement as far back as 1984. It was also aware of the risks from asbestos exposure and of its duty to manage those risks. However, the authority singularly failed to do so over more than a decade. Over that period, an unquantifiable number of its own employees plus workers from maintenance companies and similar were regularly exposed to these hazards.

    Asbestos-related disease has a long latency and it is impossible to ascertain what injury may have been caused in this case. But asbestos is a known and powerful carcinogen and owners or managers of non-domestic premises, such as councils, have a legal duty to manage the material in their buildings and have measures and controls in place to protect workers and the public from being exposed.”

    Latest Construction Health and Safety News

    HSE ENFORCEMENT WEEKLY UPDATE 17th OCT 2018

    hselogo1Prosecutions and enforcement notices register latest version

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th October 2018

    YOUNG WORKER FELL FROM PETROL STATION CANOPY

    Steel fabricator after young construction worker falls on first day at work

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th October 2018

    FIRM FINED OVER FAILURE AT ASSESS VIBRATION RISK

    Vibration regulations not acted upon until seven years in operation

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th October 2018

    FAILURE TO ISOLATE LEAVES WORKMAN PARALYSED

    Conveyor guards removed before power source isolated

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 16th October 2018

    TRADING STANDARDS AND HSE ACT IN CONCERT

    Director given prison term over fraud and health and safety breaches

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 15th October 2018

    BUILDER ERROR CAUSED FALL OF RESIDENT

    Director prosecuted over refurb project danger to others

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 12th October 2018

    FORMER HSE BOSS CONDEMNS VALUE ENGINEERING

    Resident and public safety must match workforce safety progress

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 12th October 2018

    RETAILER FINED AFTER FAN AMPUTATES FINGERS

    Maintenance engineer injured during roof fan repair works

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 12th October 2018

    POOR PLANT ISOLATION CAUSED CONVEYOR DANGER

    Arm of fitter trapped between conveyor drum and belt

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 11th October 2018

    BUILDING OWNER FAILED TO CHECK FOR ASBESTOS

    Prison sentence for businessman after previous HSE enforcement

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 11th October 2018

    YOUNG WORKER LOSES FINGERS IN SAWING INCIDENT

    Provision of training and information could not be proved

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 11th October 2018

    MD PROSECUTED ALONGSIDE ERRANT COMPANY

    Director held personally responsible for poor site conditions

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 1st October 2018

    ASBESTOS REMOVAL STARTED BEFORE R & D SURVEY

    Asbestos insulation board found outside building being refurbished

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 27th September 2018

    INEFFECTIVELY BRAKED SAW CAUSED AMPUTATIONS

    Retro-fitting of precautions may be required on older machines

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 27th September 2018

    FALL THROUGH FRAGILE CEILING TILES

    Failure to implemented control measures for working near fragile surfaces

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 27th September 2018

    HSE SEEKS CONSTRUCTION ‘DUST BUSTER’ PARTNERS

    Regulator uses social media to raise dust dangers and using right controls

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 24th September 2018

    MAJOR HOMES BUSINESS EXPOSED PUBLIC TO RISK

    Residential property refurb project created carbon monoxide danger

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 24th September 2018

    HSE CONSTRUCTION DUST CONTROL ‘BLITZ’ STARTS

    Regulator inspections will check health taken as seriously as safety

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 20th September 2018

    FLOOR CONSTRUCTION SYSTEM OF WORK UNSAFE

    Welder fell 3m from mezzanine area through purlin openings

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 20th September 2018

    WORKER SUFFERS FATAL BURNS IN OXYGEN RICH AREA

    Sparks from angle grinder ignited clothing of workman in confined space

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 19th September 2018

    RIBA PUBLISH DRAFT POST GRENFELL FIRE SAFETY PLAN

    Architects institute consults on ‘golden thread of fire safety information’

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 19th September 2018

    MAJOR UK CONTRACTORS HIT BY MAJOR FINES

    Firms ordered to pay over £3m after foot trapped in rotating ‘screw’

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 19th September 2018

    DRIVER DIED TRAPPED BETWEEN TRAILER AND VEHICLE

    Firm fined £1.5 million over failure to assess coupling operations

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 14th September 2018

    ACTUAL SYSTEM OF WORK WAS OPPOSITE OF RAMS

    Workman fell 4m through fragile asbestos roof sheet

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 13th September 2018

    CDM PRINCIPAL DESIGNER FUNCTION MISUNDERSTOOD?

    Consultants claim CDM 2015 design risk management has ‘gone backwards’

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 8th September 2018
    Ethentic Ethentic Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data
  • Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data Ethentic Ethentic