Ethentic Ethentic Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data
  • Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data Ethentic Ethentic

    SECURITY GUARD DIED FROM GENERATOR FUMES

    Lone worker suffers CO poisoning on pending demo site

    Anchor Services (GB) Limited has been fined after a lone working security guard died as a result of inhaling carbon monoxide fumes from a petrol generator.

    Arthur Ebirim, aged 45, was overcome by the gas on 28 October 2011 as he kept a night-time watch over a disused nursing home in Kent which was awaiting demolition.

    Dartford Magistrates’ Court heard that Mr Ebirim and colleagues were assigned to security at the nursing home since early August 2011.

    The guards were initially stationed outside the building before moving into a lobby area inside as the weather became cooler. A petrol generator belonging to one of the workers was placed inside the lobby to provide a power source.

    On the evening of 27 October Mr Ebirim was asked to guard the home alone because the usual night-time guard was unavailable. His wife raised the alarm that something was wrong when he failed to contact her at the end of his shift the following morning.

    Company representatives went to the site but were unable to gain access to the office. The door was eventually broken down by the emergency services and Mr Ebirim was discovered slumped in a chair.

    He was pronounced dead at the scene before a post-mortem later confirmed carbon monoxide poisoning as the cause of death.

    Generator designed for outdoor use

    HSE investigators established that the only source of carbon monoxide in the room was the petrol generator. Tests revealed it was capable of producing fatal levels.

    The generator was placed next to a door leading to a courtyard with a sign on the door stating: ‘When running the generator please keep this door open’. Generators of this kind are designed for outdoor use and should never be used indoors.

    HSE inspectors found the generator was prone to run out of fuel in the early hours of the morning. Refilling in the dark posed an additional safety risk because there was a greater chance of spilling petrol and causing a fire.

    The court was told that the defendant company failed to assess the risks posed by the generator and also failed to implement the company agreed lone working procedures.

    Use petrol generators in well-ventilated areas

    The company, formerly of Tanfield Road, Croydon, but now in the hands of Sutton-based liquidators Turpin Baker Armstrong, was found guilty in absentia of breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. It was fined £20,000, the maximum penalty available to Magistrates, and was ordered to pay a further £35,656 in costs.

    After the hearing, HSE inspector Melvyn Stancliffe commented:

    “This was a tragic and completely avoidable death that has devastated Mr Ebirim’s wife, family and friends. Their loss is made worse by the fact he was only covering the night shift as a one-off, but sadly never returned home.

    The bottom line here is that the generator should not have been used inside the building, even with the door open. Petrol generators must only be used in a well-ventilated area because they are known to emit carbon monoxide.

    The onus was on Anchor Services (GB) Limited to keep Mr EIbirim safe, but they failed to do so.”

     

    Latest Construction Health and Safety News

    ROOF COLLAPSED UNDER EXCESS LOADING

    Director and company fined over roof design failures

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 11th November 2018

    FORK LIFT OVERTURNED IN SCAFFOLDING YARD

    Untrained operator suffered life changing crush injuries

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 10th November 2018

    STRUCTURAL SAFETY ALERT: EFFECTS OF SCALE

    SCOSS issues alert after concerns disclosed over ‘large structures’

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 7th November 2018

    ASBESTOS EXPOSED BY UNTRAINED WORKERS

    Contractor failed to act properly despite HSE intervention

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 7th November 2018

    GAS MAIN STRIKE REPAIR CAUSED SEVERE BURNS

    Contractor excavator damage to gas pipe ends in £1.2m fine

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 7th November 2018

    REBAR FELL FROM FLT IN UNSAFE LIFTING OPERATION

    Multiple fractures caused by inappropriate use of fork lift

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 7th November 2018

    HSE ENFORCEMENT WEEKLY UPDATE 7th NOV 2018

    hselogo1Prosecutions and enforcement notices register latest version

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 7th November 2018

    POORLY PLANNED LIFT DISMANTLE INJURED WORKMAN

    Counterweight or suspension rope struck worker in lift shaft

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 1st November 2018

    CONSTRUCTION INJURY AND ILL-HEALTH 2017/18

    hselogo1Fatal injury rate in long term decline whilst ill-health trend flat lining

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 1st November 2018

    DUMPER DRIVEN INTO OPEN UNGUARDED EXCAVATION

    Contractor fined over absence of suitable excavation / dumper precautions

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 1st November 2018

    DEATH FAILED TO TRIGGER PREVENTIVE ACTION

    Prison term for director whilst his company ordered to pay £3/4m

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 29th October 2018

    FAILURE TO MAINTAIN GUARDS PROVES COSTLY

    Woodworking machinery defective despite previous HSE advice

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 26th October 2018

    CISRS LAUNCH SYSTEM SCAFFOLD INSPECTION COURSES

    Training courses prompted by growing use of system scaffolding

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 25th October 2018

    HSE INSPECTS CLADDING REMOVAL AND REPLACEMENT

    hselogo1Advice to Inspectors published on fire risk during work on tall buildings

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 25th October 2018

    HIGHWAYS, RAIL AND WATER HEALTH & SAFETY HUBS

    Websites provide useful information, alerts and tools

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 24th October 2018

    ELIMINATING CONCRETE DRILLING VIBRATION HAZARD

    Cutting specialist innovation avoids vibration exposure management

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 24th October 2018

    NEW MEWP WORK AT HEIGHT RESCUE GUIDANCE

    Industry body publishes simple guidance on MEWP stranding actions

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 24th October 2018

    HSE PUBLISH RIDDOR DATA VISUALISATION TOOL

    hselogo1Construction injury records made more relevant and easily used

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 24th October 2018

    COUNCIL OVERLOOKED ICE RINK SLIPPING RISK

    Obvious risk of employees falling on ice rink was left uncontrolled

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 22nd October 2018

    STRUCTURAL SAFETY BODY LATEST NEWSLETTER

    CROSS publishes reports and expert comment on a range of issues

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 22nd October 2018

    YOUNG WORKER FELL FROM PETROL STATION CANOPY

    Steel fabricator after young construction worker falls on first day at work

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th October 2018

    FIRM FINED OVER FAILURE AT ASSESS VIBRATION RISK

    Vibration regulations not acted upon until seven years in operation

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th October 2018

    FAILURE TO ISOLATE LEAVES WORKMAN PARALYSED

    Conveyor guards removed before power source isolated

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 16th October 2018

    TRADING STANDARDS AND HSE ACT IN CONCERT

    Director given prison term over fraud and health and safety breaches

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 15th October 2018

    BUILDER ERROR CAUSED FALL OF RESIDENT

    Director prosecuted over refurb project danger to others

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 12th October 2018
    Ethentic Ethentic Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data
  • Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data Ethentic Ethentic