Ethentic Ethentic Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data
  • Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data Ethentic Ethentic

    INQUEST: DEFECTIVE RCD FAILED TO PROTECT PLUMBER

    Combination of circumstances caused death by electrocution

    It has been reported by the Bucks Free Press that an inquest has heard how a plumber died after being electrocuted as he carried out work the home of his ‘boss’. Lukasz Sobala, 36, was electrocuted as he installed copper piping on the outside a property in Chartridge, Herts in August 2013.

    HSE electrical systems expert, Andrew Pitt,  told the inquest an earth fault in the kitchen ring main circuit caused the voltage to “shoot up in the main earth terminal”. This resulted in all the connected conducting material attached to the terminal – including the boiler and piping on which Mr Sobala was working on – becoming live.

    The Residual Currant Device (RCD) on the consumer unit was also defective and failed to trip, allowing the current to continue to flow.

    The Beaconsfield Coroner heard Mr Sobala had been relocating the boiler in the house before Gas Safe-registered fitter install the boiler. The copper pipe was not connected to the meter box but it was connected to the boiler which was switched off at the mains.

    HSE were unable to locate exactly where the electric fault occurred but said “anyone that made contact with copper and ‘true earth’ at the property at that time of the fault would have been at risk”.

    A jury decided upon a narrative verdict after about 30 minutes of deliberation. It read:

    “Lukasz Sobala was installing copper pipework on the exterior of the building. At some stage, a fundamental earth fault in the kitchen ring main circuit occurred resulting in a voltage rise of the main earth terminal. This caused the voltage to rise on all items of conducting materials attached to the terminal, making the boiler and copper pipework live.

    Mr Sobala, whilst holding the copper pipe and due to contact with the ground, was electrocuted. The RCD on the Consumer Unit should have tripped, stopping current flow, but it was defective and failed to operate.”

    Latest Construction Health and Safety News

    STEEL PIPE FALL TRIGGERS FREAK CAUSE OF DEATH

    Wooden bearer sent flying by pipe struck workman on head

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 16th September 2019

    FATAL FALL FROM INSECURE SCAFFOLD LADDER

    Scaffold erected by unqualified and incompetent person

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 16th September 2019

    FIRMS FAILED TO MONITOR SAFE SYSTEM OF WORK

    Principal Contractor and specialist fined over fall through roof mesh

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 12th September 2019

    ASSISTANCE FROM THIRD PARTY PROVES COSTLY

    Contractor fined after non-employee loses fingers crushed by dozer

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 12th September 2019

    CUSTODIAL SENTENCES AFTER CAPTURE ON CAMERA

    Roofing business partner failed to properly plan and supervise roofwork

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 12th September 2019

    FIRM FINED OVER FALL FROM LORRY BED

    Serious injury after failure to provide suitable and clear instructions

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 10th September 2019

    COUNCIL FINED £100k OVER VIBRATION FAILINGS

    Excessive use of power tools uncontrolled and without health surveillance

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 10th September 2019

    HSE ENFORCEMENT DATABASE LATEST UPDATE

    hselogo1View current online register of HSE prosecutions and enforcement notices

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 28th August 2019

    IMPROVING CDM DESIGNER HAZARD AWARENESS

    Research explores power of “multi-media digital tool” for design hazards

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 27th August 2019

    DEMOLITION FEDERATION ON RECENT INCIDENTS

    NFDC ‘statement of awareness’ follows unplanned collapses

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 27th August 2019

    RAISING COMPETENCE AND MAKING BUILDINGS SAFER

    Life-safety-critical disciplines urged to act on Interim Report

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 27th August 2019

    BUILDING WORKS COMPROMISED GAS SAFETY

    Company and director fined after work created risk to residents

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 27th August 2019

    NON-INJURY PROSECUTION OVER WORK ON THE EDGE

    HSE routine inspection results in £25,000 fine for errant contractor

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 27th August 2019

    FALL PRECAUTIONS FELL BETWEEN TWO FIRMS

    Contractors fined after workers at risk of falling from roof

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 9th August 2019

    SOLAR PANEL FIRM AWARE OF FRAGILE ROOF RISK

    Workman suffered long-term injuries in 4m fall through rooflight

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 9th August 2019

    HSE PROSECUTE FIRM OVER RISK NOT HARM

    Multiple safety failings land construction company in court

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 9th August 2019

    CLIENT AND CONTRACTOR FACED COURT TOGETHER

    Firms breached joint duty to plan and carry our work at height safely

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 6th August 2019

    £1M FINE OVER DEATH CAUSED BY EXCAVATOR

    Vehicle driver found guilty at trial alongside CDM Principal Contractor

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 6th August 2019

    CHILD DIED WHILST PLAYING ON POWERED GATE

    Lack of end stop caused gate to fall on 6 year old boy

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 6th August 2019

    HSE SPEAK AT ACCESS INDUSTRY CONFERENCE 2019

    AIF National Working at Height Conference November 2019

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 6th August 2019

    UK CLIENT FINED OVER UNSAFE OVERSEAS FIRM

    Italian contractor found guilty despite failure to attend court

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 6th August 2019

    COMPLETE FAILURE TO RECOGNISE HAVS RISK

    Specialist drilling company and director sentenced over HAVS danger

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 6th August 2019

    PC AND TWO OTHERS FAILED TO ASSESS WIND EFFECT

    Fall of director from roof caused by ‘Storm Doris’ gust

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 30th July 2019

    MAJOR FIRM FINED £400k OVER LIFTING OPERATION

    Fitter loses four fingers as load slides and falls to the ground

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 28th July 2019

    NEW HOMES LEFT IN DANGEROUS CONDITION

    Fined for unsafe gas work causing fires at housing development

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 28th July 2019
    Ethentic Ethentic Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data
  • Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data Ethentic Ethentic