Ethentic Ethentic Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data
  • Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data Ethentic Ethentic

    GAS FITTER JAILED OVER DANGEROUS INSTALLATION

    Landlord installed and repaired boiler despite lack of Gas Safe registration

    A London landlord has been jailed for endangering his tenants after he illegally installed a boiler and repeatedly attempted to repair the boiler after it developed a leak.

    Harpal Singh, 53, attempted to repair his faulty handiwork at the North London property on three occasions before a concerned tenant phoned National Grid for help. A qualified technician then immediately disconnected the gas supply.

    Subsequent investigation revealed six faults with the installation and clear evidence that Mr Singh failed to appoint a Gas Safe registered engineer to do the work.

    Westminster Magistrates heard (22 November) that Mr Singh installed the boiler and associated pipework at a three-bedroomed house on in January 2013. The tenants immediately complained of a strong smell of gas throughout the property and continued to do so despite a number of visits to rectify the problem.

    In May 2013 National Grid intervened to disconnect the supply and a Gas Safe investigation highlighted clear faults with the work, and with Mr Singh’s legal duty of care as a landlord.

    There was nothing to suggest he had appointed a competent person to do the work, and no certification to show that another gas appliance at the property had been annually checked.

    Imprisonment justified by “fast and loose” behaviour

    HSE prosecuted three separate breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. Harpal Singh, of London was jailed for a total of 26 weeks and ordered to pay £1,852 in costs after pleading guilty to all three breaches.

    The judge ruled that imprisonment was justified to reflect his high culpability and the fact he acted “fast and loose” with the lives of his tenants.

    After the hearing HSE Inspector Lisa Chappell said:

    “The regulations covering landlords’ duties relating to gas appliances in their properties are unambiguous, and clearly state that only qualified engineers are permitted to undertake gas installations, checks and maintenance.

    Mr Singh should have known this, and his negligence could have cost lives. Faulty installations can cause fires, explosions or carbon monoxide poisoning, and that is why only Gas Safe registered engineers should be used.

    There are many instances where landlords fail to fulfil their duties, and I hope today’s case serves as a reminder that we will prosecute when that is the case.”

    Russell Kramer, Chief Executive of Gas Safe Register, commented:

    “Every Gas Safe registered engineer carries a Gas Safe ID card, which shows who they are and the type of gas work they are qualified to do.

    You can check if your engineer is legal and safe by asking for the card and if you have any concerns, contact us by calling 0800 408 5500 or visit our website at www.gassaferegister.co.uk

    Latest Construction Health and Safety News

    FAILURE TO ISOLATE LEAVES WORKMAN PARALYSED

    Conveyor guards removed before power source isolated

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 16th October 2018

    TRADING STANDARDS AND HSE ACT IN CONCERT

    Director given prison term over fraud and health and safety breaches

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 15th October 2018

    BUILDER ERROR CAUSED RESIDENT FALL FROM BALCONY

    Director prosecuted over refurb project danger to others

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 12th October 2018

    FORMER HSE BOSS CONDEMNS VALUE ENGINEERING

    Resident and public safety must match workforce safety progress

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 12th October 2018

    RETAILER FINED AFTER FAN AMPUTATES FINGERS

    Maintenance engineer injured during roof fan repair works

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 12th October 2018

    POOR PLANT ISOLATION CAUSED CONVEYOR DANGER

    Arm of fitter trapped between conveyor drum and belt

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 11th October 2018

    BUILDING OWNER FAILED TO CHECK FOR ASBESTOS

    Prison sentence for businessman after previous HSE enforcement

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 11th October 2018

    YOUNG WORKER LOSES FINGERS IN SAWING INCIDENT

    Provision of training and information could not be proved

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 11th October 2018

    HSE ENFORCEMENT WEEKLY UPDATE 10th OCT 2018

    hselogo1Prosecutions and enforcement notices register latest version

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 10th October 2018

    MD PROSECUTED ALONGSIDE ERRANT COMPANY

    Director held personally responsible for poor site conditions

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 1st October 2018

    ASBESTOS REMOVAL STARTED BEFORE R & D SURVEY

    Asbestos insulation board found outside building being refurbished

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 27th September 2018

    INEFFECTIVELY BRAKED SAW CAUSED AMPUTATIONS

    Retro-fitting of precautions may be required on older machines

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 27th September 2018

    FALL THROUGH FRAGILE CEILING TILES

    Failure to implemented control measures for working near fragile surfaces

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 27th September 2018

    HSE SEEKS CONSTRUCTION ‘DUST BUSTER’ PARTNERS

    Regulator uses social media to raise dust dangers and using right controls

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 24th September 2018

    MAJOR HOMES BUSINESS EXPOSED PUBLIC TO RISK

    Residential property refurb project created carbon monoxide danger

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 24th September 2018

    HSE CONSTRUCTION DUST CONTROL ‘BLITZ’ STARTS

    Regulator inspections will check health taken as seriously as safety

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 20th September 2018

    FLOOR CONSTRUCTION SYSTEM OF WORK UNSAFE

    Welder fell 3m from mezzanine area through purlin openings

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 20th September 2018

    WORKER SUFFERS FATAL BURNS IN OXYGEN RICH AREA

    Sparks from angle grinder ignited clothing of workman in confined space

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 19th September 2018

    RIBA PUBLISH DRAFT POST GRENFELL FIRE SAFETY PLAN

    Architects institute consults on ‘golden thread of fire safety information’

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 19th September 2018

    MAJOR UK CONTRACTORS HIT BY MAJOR FINES

    Firms ordered to pay over £3m after foot trapped in rotating ‘screw’

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 19th September 2018

    DRIVER DIED TRAPPED BETWEEN TRAILER AND VEHICLE

    Firm fined £1.5 million over failure to assess coupling operations

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 14th September 2018

    ACTUAL SYSTEM OF WORK WAS OPPOSITE OF RAMS

    Workman fell 4m through fragile asbestos roof sheet

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 13th September 2018

    CDM PRINCIPAL DESIGNER FUNCTION MISUNDERSTOOD?

    Consultants claim CDM 2015 design risk management has ‘gone backwards’

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 8th September 2018

    RISK ASSESSED PRECAUTIONS NOT IMPLEMENTED

    Action not paperwork essential to prevent fall during lifting operation

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 7th September 2018

    CROSSRAIL PUBLISH BEST PRACTICE H&S GUIDES

    Sharing major project best practice can leave a lasting legacy

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 5th September 2018
    Ethentic Ethentic Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data
  • Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data Ethentic Ethentic