Major incident on M25 after lorry overturned in roadworks
It has been reported by Construction News that on Friday 1 November two workers were airlifted to hospital following an incident in which a lorry overturned on the M25 where a Balfour Beatty/Skanska joint venture is carrying out major roadworks.
The Police said “one man is in a critical condition and another is being treated for serious injuries”.
The Highways Agency said
“The M25 was closed in both directions this morning following an incident in which an HGV overturned, crossing the central reservation.
Three road workers were injured in the incident. The Highways Agency’s thoughts are with those involved and their family, friends and colleagues.
Drivers are thanked for their patience during the closure.”
The Highways Agency is working with the industry and road users to reduce the risks of working on the roads. For the safety of road workers and all road users the HA advise that when approaching roadworks drivers should:
- Keep within the speed limit – it is there for your safety.
- Get into the correct lane in good time – don’t keep switching.
- Concentrate on the road ahead, not the roadworks.
- Be alert for works’ traffic leaving or entering roadworks.
- Keep a safe distance – there could be queues in front.
- Observe all signs – they are there to help you