Ethentic Ethentic Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data
  • Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data Ethentic Ethentic

    PC FAILED TO PROVIDE KEY INFORMATION ON GAS RISK

    Demolition contractors damaged gas main causing major leak

    Merepark Construction Ltd has been prosecuted over a major gas leak which caused widespread disruption and sparked fears of an explosion in Liverpool city centre.

    Hundreds of people were evacuated from the area around a former department store on 19 January 2012 after a gas supply pipe was damaged during demolition work inside the building.  The company failed to warn the demolition contractor about the live gas supply.

    The gas supply pipe (which was clearly visible entering the building service duct at street level) was damaged by falling debris during demolition work causing a two-inch hole in the pipe.

    Liverpool Magistrates heard that the defendant company was the Principal contractor on the multi-million-pound project to convert the building into a new hotel, shops and offices as part of the Central Village development.

    Emergency services evacuated the building and surrounding area due to the risk of a major explosion and city’s busiest train station was closed.

    Merepark Construction arranged for disconnection of gas pipes after the meter into the building but failed to take any action to either disconnect the gas supply to the meter or to protect the four-inch supply pipe from demolition work.

    Single spark could have triggered major explosion in city centre

    Merepark Construction Ltd, of Garden Lane in Altrincham, was found guilty of two breaches of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 by failing to ensure the safety of workers or the public following a trial at Liverpool Magistrates’ Court.

    The company, which is currently in voluntary liquidation, was fined £30,000 and ordered to pay £8,490 in prosecution costs.

    Speaking after the hearing, HSE Inspector Catherine Willars said:

    “The gas supply pipe could clearly be seen entering the service duct from the street but Merepark Construction failed to take any action to disconnect it, protect it from falling rubble or to warn the demolition firm of the dangers.

    A single spark could have set alight the leaking gas and caused a major explosion in the city centre, with the potential to put dozens of lives at risk.

    “Luckily the emergency services’ response worked effectively and they were able to prevent an explosion but the incident caused significant disruption and hit the income of local businesses.

    Merepark was the principal contractor on a major refurbishment project but its safety standards fell way below the legal minimum on this occasion.”

    Latest Construction Health and Safety News

    WORKMAN FELL FROM UNSECURED LADDER

    Industrial cladding company failed to assess and control WAH

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th January 2019

    SCAFFOLDER FELL THROUGH FRAGILE ROOFLIGHT

    Fall through roof leaves workman with life-changing injuries

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th January 2019

    ARM DRAGGED INTO CONVEYOR BELT DANGER

    Workman seriously injured on first day at work in quarry

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 16th January 2019

    ROOF TRUSSES TOPPLED TRAPPING WORKMAN

    Principal contractor failed to plan, manage and monitor project

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 16th January 2019

    SCAFFOLDING AWARENESS TRAINING FOR ALL

    CISRS set to target painters, bricklayers, electricians and plumbers

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 16th January 2019

    HSE ENFORCEMENT DATABASE REMAINS OFFLINE

    hselogo1Access to HSE prosecutions and notices register mysteriously unavailable

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 15th January 2019

    POOR LIFT MAINTENANCE CLAIMED LIFE OF CHILD

    Affordable housing business and contractor fined over £1.5m

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 15th January 2019

    NEW CPA CRANE SAFETY GUIDANCE ISSUED

    Guide covers use of mobile lifting appliances beside railways

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 14th January 2019

    RIBA CONDEMNS RISKIER PROCUREMENT OUTCOMES

    Holistic focus on safety is required and not just cost cutting

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 8th January 2019

    DIRECTOR JAILED OVER PAINT STRIPPER ILLEGAL SALE

    Banned and restricted chemicals sold contrary to legal requirements

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 5th January 2019

    CLIENT FAILED TO PROCURE ASBESTOS SURVEY

    Demolition work released large quantities of asbestos fibres

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 2nd January 2019

    LIVE WORKING IGNITED CLOTHES OF ELECTRICIAN

    Spanner came into contact with live terminal causing life-changing burns

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 31st December 2018

    WORKMEN FELL FROM ‘BIN’ ATTACHED TO EXCAVATOR

    Premature removal of scissor lift prompted unsafe system of work

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 31st December 2018

    MANY SITES FAIL HSE HEALTH RISK CONTROL TEST

    HSE Construction site ‘blitz’ finds breaches at 43% of site visits

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 31st December 2018

    MAKESHIFT FALL ARREST SYSTEM CAUGHT ON CAMERA

    Contactors fined for using harness not attached to suitable anchor

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 31st December 2018

    HYDRAULIC RAM SEVERED HAND OF WORKMAN

    Major contractor failed to follow own policies and procedures

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 31st December 2018

    ALL WORK AREAS NOT INCLUDED IN ASBESTOS SURVEY

    Company fined after asbestos containing materials were released

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 31st December 2018

    FESTIVE GREETINGS TO ALL OUR READERS

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th December 2018

    POSITIVE STORY ON FRAGILE SURFACE HAZARDS

    Major roofing contractor testifies to working from below roof

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th December 2018

    LEISURE CENTRE USER FELL ILL AFTER SHOWER USE

    Legionella risk assessment and control measures found wanting

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th December 2018

    STONE CUTTING MACHINE GUARDS FAILED HSE TEST

    Precautions taken following HSE enforcement fell into disuse

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th December 2018

    ROOFWORK CREATED CARBON MONOXIDE RISK

    Falling rubble damaged and blocked home chimney flue

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th December 2018

    HSE SAFETY ALERT: TOWER CRANE BRAKES

    Collapse of tower crane jib in high winds prompts HSE warning

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 11th December 2018

    VISITING ENGINEER CRUSHED BY SCAFFOLD TUBES

    Principal contractor “signed off” contractor storage arrangements

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 11th December 2018

    CONCRETE EJECTED BY PUMPING UNIT CLAIMED LIFE

    Company and director failed to train and supervise pumping operations

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 5th December 2018
    Ethentic Ethentic Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data
  • Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data Ethentic Ethentic

    2 Responses to “PC FAILED TO PROVIDE KEY INFORMATION ON GAS RISK”

    1. HSE ENFORCEMENT WEEKLY UPDATE 20th NOVEMBER 2013 | PP Construction Safety News Desk Says:

      […] PC FAILED TO PROVIDE KEY INFORMATION ON GAS RISK […]

    2. MANAGING RISKS WITH CATASTROPHIC POTENTIAL | PP Construction Safety News Desk Says:

      […] major gas escape during city centre refurb project; […]