Ethentic Ethentic Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data
  • Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data Ethentic Ethentic

    CATALOGUE OF PC FAILINGS PUT FAMILY AT CO FUME RISK

    Insufficient direction and supervision exercised over sub-contractor

    Morris and Spottiswood Ltd has been fined for a “catalogue of failings” which left a family exposed to potentially fatal carbon monoxide fumes which came to light June 2010.

    The owner of a Glasgow flat became concerned about the headaches experienced by her 10 year-old son and suspected a gas fire in the  living room. She asked a friend (who was a registered Gas Safe engineer) to check the appliance.

    He found the space behind the fire was filled with debris and realised the chimney had been removed and debris from the demolished chimney accumulated behind the fire. The fire was “condemned” and HSE notified.

    Glasgow Sherriff Court heard (2 Sept) that Morris and Spottiswood were contracted by Glasgow Housing Association to carry out renovation work on the block of flats. The project started in September 2008 and included the removal of redundant chimneys to reduce future maintenance costs.

    The court was told that the flat was visited at various times in early 2009 by a Morris and Spottiswood Ltd site foreman, a client-tenant liaison officer and a gas engineer. The foreman recorded that there was an electric fire in the property rather than a gas fire which required the chimney for a flue.

    The function of the gas fire was further compromised by debris that had fallen down the chimney during its removal and the fact that chimney exit was capped. This combination of circumstances resulted in the carbon monoxide being produced whenever the fire was used.

    Young family needlessly put at risk by principal contractor

    Morris and Spottiswood Ltd, of Helen Street, Glasgow, was fined £60,000 after pleading guilty to breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 between 22 September 2008 and 20 March 2009.

    Following the case, HSE Inspector Helen Diamond, said:

    “This was, for the family, a potentially fatal combination of circumstances. But thankfully it appears they did not suffer a high degree of exposure.

    It was Morris and Spottiswood Ltd’s decision to remove the chimney at this property, based on checks made by a site supervisor who had no specific trade.

    A young family was needlessly put at risk because the company fell considerably short in its duties as principal contractor. It failed to ensure a competent person was employed to determine whether properties had a gas or electric fire and then failed to provide sufficient information, instruction, training and supervision to the sub-contractor.”

    Latest Construction Health and Safety News

    ROOF COLLAPSED UNDER EXCESS LOADING

    Director and company fined over roof design failures

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 11th November 2018

    FORK LIFT OVERTURNED IN SCAFFOLDING YARD

    Untrained operator suffered life changing crush injuries

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 10th November 2018

    STRUCTURAL SAFETY ALERT: EFFECTS OF SCALE

    SCOSS issues alert after concerns disclosed over ‘large structures’

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 7th November 2018

    ASBESTOS EXPOSED BY UNTRAINED WORKERS

    Contractor failed to act properly despite HSE intervention

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 7th November 2018

    GAS MAIN STRIKE REPAIR CAUSED SEVERE BURNS

    Contractor excavator damage to gas pipe ends in £1.2m fine

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 7th November 2018

    REBAR FELL FROM FLT IN UNSAFE LIFTING OPERATION

    Multiple fractures caused by inappropriate use of fork lift

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 7th November 2018

    HSE ENFORCEMENT WEEKLY UPDATE 7th NOV 2018

    hselogo1Prosecutions and enforcement notices register latest version

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 7th November 2018

    POORLY PLANNED LIFT DISMANTLE INJURED WORKMAN

    Counterweight or suspension rope struck worker in lift shaft

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 1st November 2018

    CONSTRUCTION INJURY AND ILL-HEALTH 2017/18

    hselogo1Fatal injury rate in long term decline whilst ill-health trend flat lining

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 1st November 2018

    DUMPER DRIVEN INTO OPEN UNGUARDED EXCAVATION

    Contractor fined over absence of suitable excavation / dumper precautions

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 1st November 2018

    DEATH FAILED TO TRIGGER PREVENTIVE ACTION

    Prison term for director whilst his company ordered to pay £3/4m

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 29th October 2018

    FAILURE TO MAINTAIN GUARDS PROVES COSTLY

    Woodworking machinery defective despite previous HSE advice

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 26th October 2018

    CISRS LAUNCH SYSTEM SCAFFOLD INSPECTION COURSES

    Training courses prompted by growing use of system scaffolding

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 25th October 2018

    HSE INSPECTS CLADDING REMOVAL AND REPLACEMENT

    hselogo1Advice to Inspectors published on fire risk during work on tall buildings

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 25th October 2018

    HIGHWAYS, RAIL AND WATER HEALTH & SAFETY HUBS

    Websites provide useful information, alerts and tools

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 24th October 2018

    ELIMINATING CONCRETE DRILLING VIBRATION HAZARD

    Cutting specialist innovation avoids vibration exposure management

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 24th October 2018

    NEW MEWP WORK AT HEIGHT RESCUE GUIDANCE

    Industry body publishes simple guidance on MEWP stranding actions

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 24th October 2018

    HSE PUBLISH RIDDOR DATA VISUALISATION TOOL

    hselogo1Construction injury records made more relevant and easily used

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 24th October 2018

    DESIGNER CPD EVENT HOSTED BY HSE, APS & IOSH

    CDM 2015 Construction Design Risk Management Event

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 24th October 2018

    COUNCIL OVERLOOKED ICE RINK SLIPPING RISK

    Obvious risk of employees falling on ice rink was left uncontrolled

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 22nd October 2018

    STRUCTURAL SAFETY BODY LATEST NEWSLETTER

    CROSS publishes reports and expert comment on a range of issues

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 22nd October 2018

    YOUNG WORKER FELL FROM PETROL STATION CANOPY

    Steel fabricator after young construction worker falls on first day at work

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th October 2018

    FIRM FINED OVER FAILURE AT ASSESS VIBRATION RISK

    Vibration regulations not acted upon until seven years in operation

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th October 2018

    FAILURE TO ISOLATE LEAVES WORKMAN PARALYSED

    Conveyor guards removed before power source isolated

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 16th October 2018

    TRADING STANDARDS AND HSE ACT IN CONCERT

    Director given prison term over fraud and health and safety breaches

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 15th October 2018
    Ethentic Ethentic Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data
  • Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data Ethentic Ethentic