Ethentic Ethentic Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data
  • Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data Ethentic Ethentic

    COUNCIL HELD TO ACCOUNT FOR CONTRACTOR ERRORS

    Competence unchecked and work not monitored on extension project

    Newport City Council has been fined after building work at a house exposed a woman and her foster children to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in November 2010.

    During loft extension work by contracors on behalf of Newport City Council a boiler was moved and flue replaced. Both were left in an ‘immediately dangerous’ condition with the potentially lethal fumes escaping into the loft space.

    Cwmbran Magistrates heard (24 June) that the householder agreed to modifications to her home with a grant from the council to accommodate foster children.

    A company was contracted for the job which included the relocation of the boiler into the new loft space and replacing the flue from the gas fire. When the householder complained the boiler was not working properly and was leaking the work was examined by an independent engineer.

    The engineer found the pressure relief valve had not been connected and confirmed the boiler was leaking. He advised not to use the equipment and contacted Gas Safe Register, who sent an officer to investigate.

    Gas Safe found the boiler was incorrectly fitted and the flue from the gas fire had been capped just below the level of the loft, allowing poisonous carbon monoxide gas into the loft space. It was classified as ‘immediately dangerous’.

    Checks on competence and monitoring were missing

    HSE investigators found that Newport City Council instructed the householder to contract the company without checking their competence or monitoring their work. The council did not follow its own procedures for choosing contractors. The authority kept a list of approved firms but did not supply the list to the householder and did not involve the department which normally dealt with such work.

    Newport City Council pleaded guilty to a breach of Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and was fined £20,000 and was ordered to pay £11,000 in costs.

    HSE Inspector Dean Baker, speaking after the hearing, said:

    “Newport City Council failed in their obligation to the family to ensure that the contractors they were paying to do the work were able to do it competently and to monitor the work being carried out on their behalf.

    The shoddy and careless work by the contractors could have cost a family with young children their lives. Anyone carrying out work on or near a flue should get the advice of a Gas Safe Registered engineer before starting work.”

    Latest Construction Health and Safety News

    HSE ENFORCEMENT WEEKLY UPDATE 17th OCT 2018

    hselogo1Prosecutions and enforcement notices register latest version

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th October 2018

    YOUNG WORKER FELL FROM PETROL STATION CANOPY

    Steel fabricator after young construction worker falls on first day at work

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th October 2018

    FIRM FINED OVER FAILURE AT ASSESS VIBRATION RISK

    Vibration regulations not acted upon until seven years in operation

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th October 2018

    FAILURE TO ISOLATE LEAVES WORKMAN PARALYSED

    Conveyor guards removed before power source isolated

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 16th October 2018

    TRADING STANDARDS AND HSE ACT IN CONCERT

    Director given prison term over fraud and health and safety breaches

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 15th October 2018

    BUILDER ERROR CAUSED FALL OF RESIDENT

    Director prosecuted over refurb project danger to others

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 12th October 2018

    FORMER HSE BOSS CONDEMNS VALUE ENGINEERING

    Resident and public safety must match workforce safety progress

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 12th October 2018

    RETAILER FINED AFTER FAN AMPUTATES FINGERS

    Maintenance engineer injured during roof fan repair works

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 12th October 2018

    POOR PLANT ISOLATION CAUSED CONVEYOR DANGER

    Arm of fitter trapped between conveyor drum and belt

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 11th October 2018

    BUILDING OWNER FAILED TO CHECK FOR ASBESTOS

    Prison sentence for businessman after previous HSE enforcement

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 11th October 2018

    YOUNG WORKER LOSES FINGERS IN SAWING INCIDENT

    Provision of training and information could not be proved

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 11th October 2018

    MD PROSECUTED ALONGSIDE ERRANT COMPANY

    Director held personally responsible for poor site conditions

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 1st October 2018

    ASBESTOS REMOVAL STARTED BEFORE R & D SURVEY

    Asbestos insulation board found outside building being refurbished

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 27th September 2018

    INEFFECTIVELY BRAKED SAW CAUSED AMPUTATIONS

    Retro-fitting of precautions may be required on older machines

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 27th September 2018

    FALL THROUGH FRAGILE CEILING TILES

    Failure to implemented control measures for working near fragile surfaces

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 27th September 2018

    HSE SEEKS CONSTRUCTION ‘DUST BUSTER’ PARTNERS

    Regulator uses social media to raise dust dangers and using right controls

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 24th September 2018

    MAJOR HOMES BUSINESS EXPOSED PUBLIC TO RISK

    Residential property refurb project created carbon monoxide danger

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 24th September 2018

    HSE CONSTRUCTION DUST CONTROL ‘BLITZ’ STARTS

    Regulator inspections will check health taken as seriously as safety

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 20th September 2018

    FLOOR CONSTRUCTION SYSTEM OF WORK UNSAFE

    Welder fell 3m from mezzanine area through purlin openings

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 20th September 2018

    WORKER SUFFERS FATAL BURNS IN OXYGEN RICH AREA

    Sparks from angle grinder ignited clothing of workman in confined space

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 19th September 2018

    RIBA PUBLISH DRAFT POST GRENFELL FIRE SAFETY PLAN

    Architects institute consults on ‘golden thread of fire safety information’

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 19th September 2018

    MAJOR UK CONTRACTORS HIT BY MAJOR FINES

    Firms ordered to pay over £3m after foot trapped in rotating ‘screw’

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 19th September 2018

    DRIVER DIED TRAPPED BETWEEN TRAILER AND VEHICLE

    Firm fined £1.5 million over failure to assess coupling operations

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 14th September 2018

    ACTUAL SYSTEM OF WORK WAS OPPOSITE OF RAMS

    Workman fell 4m through fragile asbestos roof sheet

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 13th September 2018

    CDM PRINCIPAL DESIGNER FUNCTION MISUNDERSTOOD?

    Consultants claim CDM 2015 design risk management has ‘gone backwards’

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 8th September 2018
    Ethentic Ethentic Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data
  • Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data Ethentic Ethentic