Ethentic Ethentic Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data
  • Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data Ethentic Ethentic

    WORKMAN DIED INHALING PAINT REMOVER VAPOUR

    Dichloromethane containing agent used in unventilated confined space

    Multicrest Ltd, a bath restoration company, has been fined after a workman died from inhaling toxic fumes in the bathroom of a South West London flat in 2009.

    Colin Pocock, 55, was using an industrial paint and varnish remover to strip a resin coating from a bath at a housing association property in Wandsworth, when he was overcome by fumes.

    The stripping agent contained dichloromethane (also known as methylene chloride) a carcinogenic toxic chemical. Fumes rapidly built up in the confined space and he died at the scene as a result of over exposure. His body was discovered by the occupant of the flat.

    Southwark Crown Court heard (23 May) that HSE investigators found there was insufficient natural ventilation in the bathroom and that mechanical ventilation equipment had not been used to control the risk.

    Written documentation from Multicrest stated that work of this nature should carried out in well ventilated areas, but no equipment was provided by the employer. Managers were unaware of how work needed to be done in bathrooms and failed to provide adequate safe working arrangements.

    Exposed to lethal fumes with virtually no protection

    Multicrest Ltd, of Hampton, Middlesex, was fined £25,000 and ordered to pay £56,286 in costs after pleading guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.

    After the hearing, HSE inspector Steve Kirton said:

    “This is a shocking death resulting from totally inadequate ventilation in the enclosed bathroom space in which Colin Pocock had to operate.

    The risks associated with stripping agents containing dichloromethane are well known, yet he was exposed to lethal fumes with virtually no protection. Mechanical ventilation equipment is often a necessity, but all he had to rely on was a small open window, a basic mask and pot luck.

    The use of substances that create toxic fumes must only be used where the fumes cannot build up and affect people, and the work must be properly planned and supervised – none of which happened on this occasion.”

    The sentencing at Southwark Crown Court follows an earlier prosecution of Renubath Services Ltd (Multicrest’s franchising company) for identical failings linked to inadequate ventilation arrangements.

    The company, now in liquidation, was fined £20,000 and ordered to pay £21,202 in costs at Westminster Magistrates Court on 30 May 2012 after also pleading guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 in proceedings brought by HSE.

    It follows an investigation into work on properties across South West England between February 2006 and July 2009.

    Latest Construction Health and Safety News

    ROOF COLLAPSED UNDER EXCESS LOADING

    Director and company fined over roof design failures

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 11th November 2018

    FORK LIFT OVERTURNED IN SCAFFOLDING YARD

    Untrained operator suffered life changing crush injuries

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 10th November 2018

    STRUCTURAL SAFETY ALERT: EFFECTS OF SCALE

    SCOSS issues alert after concerns disclosed over ‘large structures’

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 7th November 2018

    ASBESTOS EXPOSED BY UNTRAINED WORKERS

    Contractor failed to act properly despite HSE intervention

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 7th November 2018

    GAS MAIN STRIKE REPAIR CAUSED SEVERE BURNS

    Contractor excavator damage to gas pipe ends in £1.2m fine

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 7th November 2018

    REBAR FELL FROM FLT IN UNSAFE LIFTING OPERATION

    Multiple fractures caused by inappropriate use of fork lift

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 7th November 2018

    HSE ENFORCEMENT WEEKLY UPDATE 7th NOV 2018

    hselogo1Prosecutions and enforcement notices register latest version

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 7th November 2018

    POORLY PLANNED LIFT DISMANTLE INJURED WORKMAN

    Counterweight or suspension rope struck worker in lift shaft

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 1st November 2018

    CONSTRUCTION INJURY AND ILL-HEALTH 2017/18

    hselogo1Fatal injury rate in long term decline whilst ill-health trend flat lining

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 1st November 2018

    DUMPER DRIVEN INTO OPEN UNGUARDED EXCAVATION

    Contractor fined over absence of suitable excavation / dumper precautions

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 1st November 2018

    DEATH FAILED TO TRIGGER PREVENTIVE ACTION

    Prison term for director whilst his company ordered to pay £3/4m

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 29th October 2018

    FAILURE TO MAINTAIN GUARDS PROVES COSTLY

    Woodworking machinery defective despite previous HSE advice

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 26th October 2018

    CISRS LAUNCH SYSTEM SCAFFOLD INSPECTION COURSES

    Training courses prompted by growing use of system scaffolding

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 25th October 2018

    HSE INSPECTS CLADDING REMOVAL AND REPLACEMENT

    hselogo1Advice to Inspectors published on fire risk during work on tall buildings

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 25th October 2018

    HIGHWAYS, RAIL AND WATER HEALTH & SAFETY HUBS

    Websites provide useful information, alerts and tools

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 24th October 2018

    ELIMINATING CONCRETE DRILLING VIBRATION HAZARD

    Cutting specialist innovation avoids vibration exposure management

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 24th October 2018

    NEW MEWP WORK AT HEIGHT RESCUE GUIDANCE

    Industry body publishes simple guidance on MEWP stranding actions

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 24th October 2018

    HSE PUBLISH RIDDOR DATA VISUALISATION TOOL

    hselogo1Construction injury records made more relevant and easily used

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 24th October 2018

    COUNCIL OVERLOOKED ICE RINK SLIPPING RISK

    Obvious risk of employees falling on ice rink was left uncontrolled

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 22nd October 2018

    STRUCTURAL SAFETY BODY LATEST NEWSLETTER

    CROSS publishes reports and expert comment on a range of issues

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 22nd October 2018

    YOUNG WORKER FELL FROM PETROL STATION CANOPY

    Steel fabricator after young construction worker falls on first day at work

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th October 2018

    FIRM FINED OVER FAILURE AT ASSESS VIBRATION RISK

    Vibration regulations not acted upon until seven years in operation

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th October 2018

    FAILURE TO ISOLATE LEAVES WORKMAN PARALYSED

    Conveyor guards removed before power source isolated

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 16th October 2018

    TRADING STANDARDS AND HSE ACT IN CONCERT

    Director given prison term over fraud and health and safety breaches

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 15th October 2018

    BUILDER ERROR CAUSED FALL OF RESIDENT

    Director prosecuted over refurb project danger to others

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 12th October 2018
    Ethentic Ethentic Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data
  • Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data Ethentic Ethentic