Ethentic Ethentic Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data
  • Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data Ethentic Ethentic

    GENERAL CONTRACTOR CARRIED OUT ILLEGAL GAS WORK

    Community service order imposed on unregistered builder

    A self-employed builder has been given a Community Service Order after he carried out unsafe gas installation work at a house near Dumfries.

    Kevin Graham was carrying out general building and plastering work when he offered to install a new gas fire which he said was “relatively easy to do”. Mr Graham was not a Gas Safe registered engineer. In January 2010 local plumbing and heating company examined the fire after the owner noticed a smell of gas. A competent and qualified gas engineer carried out a visual check and identified a gas leak. The company raised their concerns about the fire with HSE.

    A Gas Safe Register Inspector visited the property and found a loose fitting and an 11m supply pipe had been installed incorrectly creating a further risk of gas leakage. The investigation revealed the flue was not functioning properly with a risk that smoke and fumes could re-enter the property. Mr Graham left unsealed gaps within the builders opening of the fire and wood/expanding foam that presented a very high risk of causing a fire. 

    Offences caused risks from carbon monoxide, fire and explosion.

    At Dumfries Sheriff Court (11 October 2011) Kevin Graham, of Lockerbie, was given a 240 hours Community Service Order after pleading guilty at an earlier hearing to breaching the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 Regulation 3(3) and 26(1) and Section 3(2) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.

    After the hearing, HSE Inspector Russell Berry said:

    “In carrying out this work while not registered and competent to do so, Mr Graham put those living at Greenbank Cottage at risk not only from carbon monoxide poisoning but also from fire and explosion.

    On average, 20 people each year die from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by poorly installed, maintained or ventilated gas appliances and flues. Many more become seriously ill and in extreme cases, prolonged exposure to carbon monoxide can cause paralysis and brain damage. In this case, the occupiers of this house were very lucky indeed not to have suffered any medical ill effects.

    Paul Johnston, Chief Executive of Gas Safe Register said:

    “We work closely with the HSE to investigate unregistered gas fitters and welcome successful prosecutions such as this.

    All gas engineers have to be Gas Safe registered – it’s the law. We urge everyone to take care and be gas safe by only using registered engineers for any gas work. You can check if an engineer is registered by visiting www.gassaferegister.co.uk or calling 0800 408 5500.”

    Latest Construction Health and Safety News

    SEVENTH LONDON CYCLIST DEATH DURING 2018

    Building products vehicle involved in death of Queens doctor

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 17th August 2018

    HSE ENFORCEMENT WEEKLY UPDATE 15th AUGUST 2018

    hselogo1Prosecutions and enforcement notices register latest version

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 15th August 2018

    MAJOR CONTRACTOR FAILED TO SUPERVISE LIFT

    Errors whilst lifting pre-cast concrete blocks fined £600,000

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 14th August 2018

    FIRM FINED £400,000 OVER VIBRATING TOOLS RISK

    Hand-held orbital sanders, rivet guns, grinders and drills caused harm

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 14th August 2018

    OVERHEAD POWER AND EARTHING OF SCAFFOLDS

    NASC combines updates advice on scaffold electrical risks

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 9th August 2018

    REVERSING VEHICLE CLAIMED LIFE OF ‘BANKSMAN’

    Workman trapped whilst assisting colleague in reversing lorry

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 7th August 2018

    TWO WORKMEN DIED IN SPRAY BOOTH EXPLOSION

    Flammable vapour ignited by ignition sources present at the scene

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 6th August 2018

    SOLAR SPECIALIST FAILED TO PLAN FOR SAFETY

    Fragile roof failed under weight of solar installation worker

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 6th August 2018

    DIRECTOR AND COMPANY FINED FOR SAFETY BREACHES

    Basic work at height risks and welfare requirements ignored

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 6th August 2018

    REFURB PROJECT REQUIRED ASBESTOS ASSESSMENT

    Property management firm fined over lack of asbestos survey

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 6th August 2018

    CLIENT FAILED MANAGEMENT ARRANGEMENTS TEST

    Homes developer prosecuted for breaching CDM 2015 client duties

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 6th August 2018

    JAIL TERM FOR DEVELOPER AFTER BUILDING COLLAPSE

    Inexperienced workers demolished structure without Principal Contractor

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 6th August 2018

    CDM 2015 DUTYHOLDERS IGNORED HSE ADVICE

    Contractor, client and director convicted after dangerous site conditions

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 6th August 2018

    MASSIVE FINE OVER USE OF UNSAFE GAS FITTINGS

    College gas installation contractor exposed after multiple gas leaks

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 17th July 2018

    TEMP WORKS DESIGNED BY MANAGER AND UNCHECKED

    Collapse of platform highlighted failure in temporary works management

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 17th July 2018

    RAISING SAFETY STANDARDS FOR CRANE LIFTING OPS

    Major crane seminar seeks to raise standards and share best practice

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 17th July 2018

    WORKMAN SURVIVES 6m FALL THROUGH ROOFLIGHT

    Unsecured boards provided to cover nearby fragile materials

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 17th July 2018

    MAJOR FACILITIES FIRM FAILED ON FLAT ROOF SAFETY

    Site specific planning lacking and safety standards not monitored

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 17th July 2018

    HSE ALERT: UNAUTHORISED ACCESS TO SCAFFOLDS

    hselogo1Regulator sets out new guidance to protect children and the public

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 17th July 2018

    ASSUMING OTHERS WILL ACT IS NO DEFENCE

    Incomplete edge protection caused 8m fall from roof

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 17th July 2018

    LEADING ROOFING SPECIALIST FOUND WANTING

    Risk to employees and the public after failure to meet required standard

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 17th July 2018

    SCAFFOLDER DEVELOPMENT EMBRACED BY INDUSTRY

    CPD training attracts over 2500 scaffolders during first year of operation

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 11th July 2018

    SECURITY PANELS FELL DESPITE EARLY WARNING

    Firm fined £1/4 million after worker crushed by falling fencing

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 10th July 2018

    VEHICLE STRIKE TRIGGERED FALL OF ROOF TRUSSES

    Manufacturer failed to identify a suitable safe system of work

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 10th July 2018

    INCIDENT: CHILD STRUCK BY FALLING OBJECT

    Wood falling from scaffold triggers arrest of two on construction site

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 10th July 2018
    Ethentic Ethentic Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data
  • Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data Ethentic Ethentic