Ethentic Ethentic Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data
  • Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data Ethentic Ethentic

    FIRM FINED AFTER ELECTRICAL EXPLOSION BURNS WORKMAN

    Disastrous assumption made by contractor highlights need for proper enquiries

    Pineview Interiors Limited has been prosecuted after a workman sustained serious burns in an electrical explosion  on a construction site at in Islington, North London on the 30th April 2010. The man was working  on a large refurb project involving three adjacent buildings and  including apartments and commercial use.

    The company failed to carry out appropriate checks which would have prevented the explosion caused when a main electrical supply cable to the site was cut during its removal.

     A 415 volt 3 phase temporary electrical supply had been provided to the site. The Court heard that on the morning of the incident the workman explained to his supervisor that the electrical cable would need to be removed so that plaster board could be installed.

    HSE investigators found that very limited enquiries were taken to establish whether the cable was live. Workmen proceeded with removal on the false assumption that the cable being described must have been a redundant cable from the pre-existing installation.

    Removal commenced from a step ladder using a hammer and chisel. The court heard that the worker recalls waking up on the floor with another employee extinguishing flames on the top half of his body. He was taken to hospital, suffering burns to between 30 to 35 percent of his body. He has had to have a skin graft from his legs to his body and arms. It is expected to take up to two years for his skin to recover.

    ‘Cursory’ attempts to confirm system status

    Pineview Interiors Limited of Rainham, Havering, London, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. It was fined a total of £10,000 and ordered to pay costs of £4,183.

    Speaking after the prosecution, HSE Inspector Dominic Elliss said:

    Refurbishment works continue to contribute a high proportion of the serious and fatal injuries reported within the construction industry. The company were aware that their works would require the removal of an electrical head. They were, or should have been, aware that this well labelled system remained live at the time that they instructed their employees to commence work in this location.

    The company allowed those with no electrical training or relevant experience to remove the live electrical system with nothing but the most cursory attempt at seeking confirmation that the system was in fact dead. As a direct result of the defendant’s failure to identify or control the risk of short circuit their employee suffered extensive burn injuries from the resulting explosion.

    Latest Construction Health and Safety News

    WORKMAN FELL FROM UNSECURED LADDER

    Industrial cladding company failed to assess and control WAH

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th January 2019

    SCAFFOLDER FELL THROUGH FRAGILE ROOFLIGHT

    Fall through roof leaves workman with life-changing injuries

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th January 2019

    ARM DRAGGED INTO CONVEYOR BELT DANGER

    Workman seriously injured on first day at work in quarry

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 16th January 2019

    ROOF TRUSSES TOPPLED TRAPPING WORKMAN

    Principal contractor failed to plan, manage and monitor project

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 16th January 2019

    SCAFFOLDING AWARENESS TRAINING FOR ALL

    CISRS set to target painters, bricklayers, electricians and plumbers

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 16th January 2019

    HSE ENFORCEMENT DATABASE REMAINS OFFLINE

    hselogo1Access to HSE prosecutions and notices register mysteriously unavailable

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 15th January 2019

    POOR LIFT MAINTENANCE CLAIMED LIFE OF CHILD

    Affordable housing business and contractor fined over £1.5m

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 15th January 2019

    NEW CPA CRANE SAFETY GUIDANCE ISSUED

    Guide covers use of mobile lifting appliances beside railways

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 14th January 2019

    RIBA CONDEMNS RISKIER PROCUREMENT OUTCOMES

    Holistic focus on safety is required and not just cost cutting

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 8th January 2019

    DIRECTOR JAILED OVER PAINT STRIPPER ILLEGAL SALE

    Banned and restricted chemicals sold contrary to legal requirements

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 5th January 2019

    CLIENT FAILED TO PROCURE ASBESTOS SURVEY

    Demolition work released large quantities of asbestos fibres

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 2nd January 2019

    LIVE WORKING IGNITED CLOTHES OF ELECTRICIAN

    Spanner came into contact with live terminal causing life-changing burns

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 31st December 2018

    WORKMEN FELL FROM ‘BIN’ ATTACHED TO EXCAVATOR

    Premature removal of scissor lift prompted unsafe system of work

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 31st December 2018

    MANY SITES FAIL HSE HEALTH RISK CONTROL TEST

    HSE Construction site ‘blitz’ finds breaches at 43% of site visits

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 31st December 2018

    MAKESHIFT FALL ARREST SYSTEM CAUGHT ON CAMERA

    Contactors fined for using harness not attached to suitable anchor

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 31st December 2018

    HYDRAULIC RAM SEVERED HAND OF WORKMAN

    Major contractor failed to follow own policies and procedures

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 31st December 2018

    ALL WORK AREAS NOT INCLUDED IN ASBESTOS SURVEY

    Company fined after asbestos containing materials were released

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 31st December 2018

    FESTIVE GREETINGS TO ALL OUR READERS

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th December 2018

    POSITIVE STORY ON FRAGILE SURFACE HAZARDS

    Major roofing contractor testifies to working from below roof

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th December 2018

    LEISURE CENTRE USER FELL ILL AFTER SHOWER USE

    Legionella risk assessment and control measures found wanting

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th December 2018

    STONE CUTTING MACHINE GUARDS FAILED HSE TEST

    Precautions taken following HSE enforcement fell into disuse

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th December 2018

    ROOFWORK CREATED CARBON MONOXIDE RISK

    Falling rubble damaged and blocked home chimney flue

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th December 2018

    HSE SAFETY ALERT: TOWER CRANE BRAKES

    Collapse of tower crane jib in high winds prompts HSE warning

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 11th December 2018

    VISITING ENGINEER CRUSHED BY SCAFFOLD TUBES

    Principal contractor “signed off” contractor storage arrangements

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 11th December 2018

    CONCRETE EJECTED BY PUMPING UNIT CLAIMED LIFE

    Company and director failed to train and supervise pumping operations

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 5th December 2018
    Ethentic Ethentic Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data
  • Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data Ethentic Ethentic

    One Response to “FIRM FINED AFTER ELECTRICAL EXPLOSION BURNS WORKMAN”

    1. HSE ENFORCEMENT WEEKLY UPDATE 23rd NOVEMBER 2011 | PP Construction Safety News Desk Says:

      […] Pineview Interiors Limited – work near live 415 volt supply: £10,000; […]