Ethentic Ethentic Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data
  • Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data Ethentic Ethentic

    CARBON MONOXIDE INCIDENT DEMOLITION SITE PROSECUTION

    Three workman affected by CO fumes in asbestos decontamination unit

    Newlincs Services Ltd has been prosecuted after a poorly maintained gas boiler emitted CO fumes into an asbestos decontamination unit (DCU) in 2009.

    Huddersfield Magistrates’ Court heard the workers would begin at the ‘dirty end’ of the DCU and dispose of overalls, enter a second stage including showers and washing of their respiratory equipment, before the final ‘clean’ section to finish and change into normal clothes.

    The first two workers passed through each of the stages successfully but the next three men were nearly overcome by dizziness and nausea. All three were sent to hospital where tests showed they had suffered carbon monoxide poisoning. The men were released later the same day.

    The DCU used a gas boiler to provide hot water for the shower. HSE tests on the boiler showed poor maintenance caused the boiler to pump out high levels of carbon monoxide. In addition, a door seal and lock between the boiler compartment and ‘clean’ sections of the unit were damaged, leading to CO being drawn into the clean end.

    Essential than appliances maintained on regular basis

    Newlincs Services Ltd, of Dudley Street, Grimsby, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2 (1) of the Health & Safety at Work etc Act 1974. The company was fined £5,000 and ordered to pay £3,580 in costs.

    Inspector David Stewart, who investigated the case for the HSE, said:

    “It is essential that any appliances such as gas boilers and heaters, which can generate this gas, are maintained on a regular basis to ensure they are operating efficiently and safely.

    Even though these three men spent a relatively short time in the affected part of the decontamination unit, they were left seriously nauseous and dizzy. The consequences of longer exposure could have been fatal.”

    Paul Johnston, chief executive of Gas Safe Register, said:

    “We know that carbon monoxide poisoning can kill. Know the symptoms, and make sure gas appliances are properly installed and regularly serviced by a suitable qualified and competent Gas Safe registered engineer.”

    Latest Construction Health and Safety News

    BRICKLAYER FATALLY INJURED BY FALLING WALL

    Masonry collapsed during concrete back filling operation

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th March 2019

    BASIC LADDER SAFETY FAILURES FINED £150,000

    Repair and maintenance firm had no excuse for errors causing injury

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th March 2019

    HSE ENFORCEMENT DATABASE UPDATE 13th MARCH 2019

    hselogo1Latest online register of prosecutions and enforcement notices

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 13th March 2019

    HSE ISSUES REMINDER ON SAFE SCAFFOLD DESIGN

    Recent incidents and high winds prompt warning from regulator

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 12th March 2019

    LORRY DRIVER DIED IN OVERHEAD POWER STRIKE

    Major company failed to communicate precautions to grab arm operator

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 12th March 2019

    ASSESSMENT SHOWED RISK – PRECAUTIONS NOT TAKEN

    Workman seriously injured when falling into open unguarded stairwell

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 1st March 2019

    MAJOR FIRM FAILED TO IMPLEMENT SAFE SYSTEM

    Procedures for safe plant refuelling failed to prevent death of workman

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 26th February 2019

    CLIENT PROSECUTED OVER CONTRACTOR FATAL FALL

    Company breached duty to protect contractors as well as employees

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 26th February 2019

    FOURTEEN YEAR FAILURE TO MANAGE ASBESTOS

    Firm failed to implement asbestos management plan following survey

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 25th February 2019

    CHILD INJURED BY WALL COLLAPSE INCIDENT

    Council failed to carry out “intelligence led” condition inspections

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th February 2019

    BOTTLE JACK SUPPORT FAILED TO PREVENT DEATH

    Director sentenced alongside company over death of engineer

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th February 2019

    TEMPORARY WORKS FAILURES CAUSED FATAL FALL

    Platform not designed and system for installation and inspection inadequate

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 18th February 2019

    SOLVENT IGNITED DURING FLOOR CLEANING WORKS

    Flammable solvent fire fought with water spreading fire further

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 13th February 2019

    INEVITABLE COLLAPSE OF SCAFFOLD ON TO SCHOOL

    Scaffold not designed or installed to withstand foreseeable loads

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 13th February 2019

    OIL DRUM EXPLODED DURING HOT CUTTING WORK

    Firm fined £400k after drum lid ejected causing loss of leg

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 12th February 2019

    ROOFLIGHT FALL ON NUCLEAR POWER SITE

    Energy generating company and maintenance contractor fined

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 12th February 2019

    DIRECTOR PROSECUTED AFTER 6METRE ROOF FALL

    Untrained worker fell through rooflight in fragile asbestos roof

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 12th February 2019

    HSE ALERT: MILD STEEL WELDING CANCER RISK

    HSE announces enforcement action change based on new cancer evidence

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 11th February 2019

    LORRY MOUNTED LIFTING OPERATION PROVED FATAL

    Steel staircase toppled from vehicle after sling snagged

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 7th February 2019

    DIRECTOR AND BUSINESS IN COURT OVER DEATH

    Scaffold not priced for on domestic roof-line refurbishment work

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 6th February 2019

    FRAGILE ROOFLIGHT HAZARD PROTECTION MISSING

    Two businesses prosecuted after a worker fell through a fragile rooflight

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 5th February 2019

    STRUCTURAL SAFETY BODY LATEST NEWSLETTER

    CROSS publishes reports and expert comment on a range of issues

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 4th February 2019

    FINGERS CRUSHED BY METAL FOLDING MACHINE

    Steel cladding firm fined £600k over failure guard access to danger

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 4th February 2019

    ASBESTOS ILLEGALLY REMOVED AFTER SURVEY

    Surveyor pricing asbestos work found contractor jumped the gun

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 4th February 2019

    SITE DUMPER PRECAUTIONS FAILED TO PREVENT DEATH

    Contractor fined £600k for poor management of vehicle/people interface

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 4th February 2019
    Ethentic Ethentic Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data
  • Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data Ethentic Ethentic