Ethentic Ethentic Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data
  • Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data Ethentic Ethentic

    PENSIONER DIED DURING HOME REFURB PROJECT

    Opening left in hallway caused fall and death of elderly lady

    West Lothian Council has been prosecuted after an elderly lady died when she fell through an access hole in her hallway floor. The opening had been left uncovered by council employees working on her property.

    On 2 July 2009, Mrs Catherine Walker, 90, walked into the hallway of her house in Broompark View, East Calder, to go to her bathroom. She fell into an unguarded access hole and suffered major injuries from which she later died.

    West Lothian Council employees were carrying out gas repair works as part of a programme to upgrade the central heating systems in all of the council’s domestic properties.

    The work involved fitting new radiators, pipework, a boiler and electrical control systems. As the pipework runs under the floors, the floorboards were lifted in order to do the job.

    Positive steps required to protect public in domestic properties

    West Lothian Council pleaded guilty to breaching section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and was fined £80,000 on Monday 24 January, at Livingston Sheriff Court.

    HSE Inspector Garry Stimpson said:

    “This tragedy could have been avoided. The council employees should have covered the access hole or erected a barrier around it – this would have ensured the safety of Mrs Walker.

    Those working on central heating systems in a residential property must ensure that suitable and sufficient measures are taken to protect the residents.

    Every year thousands of projects involving central heating installation and upgrading are carried out across Scotland. Every time work is carried out contractors must take positive steps to prevent incidents – otherwise this type of incident will happen again.”

    Latest Construction Health and Safety News

    HSE CONSTRUCTION DUST CONTROL ‘BLITZ’ STARTS

    Regulator inspections will check health taken as seriously as safety

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 20th September 2018

    FLOOR CONSTRUCTION SYSTEM OF WORK UNSAFE

    Welder fell 3m from mezzanine area through purlin openings

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 20th September 2018

    WORKER SUFFERS FATAL BURNS IN OXYGEN RICH AREA

    Sparks from angle grinder ignited clothing of workman in confined space

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 19th September 2018

    RIBA PUBLISH DRAFT POST GRENFELL FIRE SAFETY PLAN

    Architects institute consults on ‘golden thread of fire safety information’

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 19th September 2018

    MAJOR UK CONTRACTORS HIT BY MAJOR FINES

    Firms ordered to pay over £3m after foot trapped in rotating ‘screw’

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 19th September 2018

    HSE ENFORCEMENT WEEKLY UPDATE 19th SEPT 2018

    hselogo1Prosecutions and enforcement notices register latest version

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 19th September 2018

    DRIVER DIED TRAPPED BETWEEN TRAILER AND VEHICLE

    Firm fined £1.5 million over failure to assess coupling operations

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 14th September 2018

    ACTUAL SYSTEM OF WORK WAS OPPOSITE OF RAMS

    Workman fell 4m through fragile asbestos roof sheet

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 13th September 2018

    CDM PRINCIPAL DESIGNER FUNCTION MISUNDERSTOOD?

    Consultants claim CDM 2015 design risk management has ‘gone backwards’

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 8th September 2018

    RISK ASSESSED PRECAUTIONS NOT IMPLEMENTED

    Action not paperwork essential to prevent fall during lifting operation

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 7th September 2018

    CROSSRAIL PUBLISH BEST PRACTICE H&S GUIDES

    Sharing major project best practice can leave a lasting legacy

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 5th September 2018

    SCHOOL STAFF LACKED ASBESTOS AWARENESS TRAINING

    Council fined £200k over asbestos flue and gasket rope failures

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 5th September 2018

    INCIDENT: MEWP OVERTURN IN CITY CENTRE

    Images show aftermath of mobile elevating platform collapse

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 5th September 2018

    SAFETY ALERT: DEFECTIVE SCAFFOLD COUPLER

    National Access and Scaffolding Confederation issues warning

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 31st August 2018

    DEMOLISHING INTERNAL WALL REVEALED ASBESTOS

    Firm lacked survey and asbestos management plan for premises

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 31st August 2018

    NEW HEALTH AND SAFETY TEST FOR ARCHITECTS

    RIBA raise the bar for members on design risk management and ‘life safety’

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 31st August 2018

    POWER BUSINESSES FAILED ON LIFTING OPERATION

    Panel fell on workman during turbine maintenance project

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 31st August 2018

    MAJOR INFRASTRUCTURE FIRM COMMITS TO ZERO HARM

    Behaviours to deliver zero lost time injury incident rate by 2021

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 31st August 2018

    MANAGING TOWER CRANE FALLING OBJECT RISK

    CPA issues new technical information note

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 31st August 2018

    POST EXPLOSION ASBESTOS WORK WAS UNSAFE

    Asbestos cement panels removed and cut with power tools

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 31st August 2018

    FALL THROUGH UNFLOORED FACTORY ROOF SPACE

    Non-routine tasks require assessment and clear risk controls

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 31st August 2018

    SEVENTH LONDON CYCLIST DEATH DURING 2018

    Building products vehicle involved in death of Queens doctor

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 17th August 2018

    MAJOR CONTRACTOR FAILED TO SUPERVISE LIFT

    Errors whilst lifting pre-cast concrete blocks fined £600,000

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 14th August 2018

    FIRM FINED £400,000 OVER VIBRATING TOOLS RISK

    Hand-held orbital sanders, rivet guns, grinders and drills caused harm

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 14th August 2018

    OVERHEAD POWER AND EARTHING OF SCAFFOLDS

    NASC combines updates advice on scaffold electrical risks

    Read the rest of this article »

    Posted on 9th August 2018
    Ethentic Ethentic Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data
  • Higher Safety Higher Safety Chipmunk Data Chipmunk Data Ethentic Ethentic